Summary: The dumb gods of man cannot help us when we need help.
JER. 2:26-30 "AMERICA, WHERE ARE THY GODS THAT THOU HAST MADE?"
A) America is without question the richest nation on Earth! * No one can argue with that!
* She has the strongest and largest churches in the world! * America has more preachers than
any other country in the world!
* She has more Christian colleges, more Christian universities, more Bible schools than any
other country! * Yet, in spite of all these things, sin is in our midst!
B) The devil is making an attack upon this nation that we cannot fail to see!
* He would like to destroy everything worthwhile! * He would like to destroy every soul winning
church, every outreach, every Christian school & every preacher who preaches the Word of God!
C) Multitudes have turned to modernism! * But the Bible still says, "Be ye holy ......."
* Only a small percentage - 12 to 15 % attend church on Sun. morning in America.
* Maybe not that many at times! * Sun. nights, even a smaller percentage!
D) Almost none at all for our Wed. night prayer meeting!
* Our text comes from the book of Jeremiah, the weeping prophet.
* Jeremiah looked upon the people of Israel with amazement and tears!
E) He was amazed that they had turned away from the eternal God!
* He was in tears as he pled for their return to God! * He gives the message of God to Israel:
* "Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings ......." Jer. 3:22
F) Three separate thoughts I will try to join together in this brief message:
(1) THE DUMB GODS OF MAN!
* The people of Israel turned away from the living God to the dumb gods of man!
A) They had turned to mountains and hills for salvation!
* It says in v.28 "The number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah."
* They turned away to false gods, to idols!
B) Our mind goes back to the story of Elijah on Mt. Carmel & the prophets of Baal!
* They were standing and prophesying & Elijah said, "Build your altar, set it afire with your
prayers." * "I’ll build an altar & set the fire with my prayers!"
C) The prophets built the altar! * They prayed - nothing happened!
* Dumb gods! * But God answered the prayer of Elijah!
D) Man is a worshipper! * He has to worship something or someone, no matter who!
* And he often worships himself because he thinks he can do all things!
* They say, "I have my own way." * My dear friend, the only way is the Bible way!
E) Being a Christian, one who believes the Word of God & accepts it as that is the way to go!
* This is the Bible, God’s Holy Word! * We stand for this!
* But many have turned away and refused to receive it!
F) Man worships objects! * Money, houses, and land - things!
* Jesus gave the parable in Lk.12:16-21 about the rich fool saying of this one, "Thou fool ......."
* And again we have the story in Lk.16:19-31 "There was a certain rich man ......."
* Man worshipping objects, worshipping things!
G) Man worships his own inventiveness! * He feels that he can work it out!
* In his foolishness he says, "Look what I’ve done, look what I’ve built!"
* Nebuchadnezzar - Dan.4:29-30 "At the end of the 12 months he walked in the palace ......."