Summary: The decline of America. America as it was, as it is now and America's only hope for the future
TITLE: America's Only Hope
TEXT: Psalm 33:12-18
INTRO: America's beginning was different from all other nations. Christopher Columbus had discovered a new land and when settlers began to come here, they were looking for a new life, with new opportunities in a land where they could be free from authoritarian governments and free to worship God as they pleased. A South American president once said, “People came to my continent looking for gold, but those who came to America were looking for God!”
I. AMERICA AS IT WAS
A. Its Founding
1. A government of laws, not of men, all equal before
2. Rights given by God, not the government
#The Declaration of Independence says, “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights that among them are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
3. A Constitution that recognized those rights and limited
4. Leaders would govern by the consent of the governed
B. Its Founders
1. Men who believed in God
#(Patrick Henry) “It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the gospel of Jesus Christ."
2. John Quincy Adams wrote, “The highest glory of the American Revolution was that it connected the principles of Christianity with the principles of government.”
#(George Washington) “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”
3. Men with the Courage of their Convictions
#(Patrick Henry) “I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
-Many of the founders lost everything they had,
including their lives
C. Its Blessings
1. America was blessed with prosperity, peace & freedom
2. Millions of people wanted to come here because of our
D. Its Goodness
1. We have shared our blessings with other countries
2. We have fought to maintain their freedom
3. We have sent missionaries around the world
II. AMERICA TODAY
A. Our Country is Rapidly Degenerating into a Godless
1. Prayer and Bible reading..banned from schools
2. Any mention God..removed from gov’t. buildings
3. Crosses in public…under attack
4. Abortion..legalized over 50 million unborn…killed
5. Same-sex unions are being recognized as marriages
6. The name of Jesus is a forbidden word
(Prov.14:34) “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.”
B. America is Following a Path to Destruction
1. Ungodly laws are being passed
2. Leaders..ignoring the Constitution..acting like dictators
3. We are losing freedoms every day
4. People think..blessings..from government..not..God
5. Many are too busy living it up to know or even care
# (Adrian Rogers) "The two biggest problems in America: number one is ignorance and number two is apathy. People don't know and they don't care."
C. America Has Lost its Goodness its Greatness
1. Judgment cannot be long in coming
(Hos 8:7) "For they have sown the wind, and
they shall reap the whirlwind..."
2. Isaiah prophesied to Israel
"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil... Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. (Isa. 5:20a &24)
3. The same thing can happen to America
III. AMERICA'S ONLY HOPE
A. The Only Hope for America is to Return to God
1. Only the direct intervention of God can reverse our
country's spiritual decay.
2. Many people are saying "It's too late for America, we're past the point of no return."
-(Wm. Penn) "If you are not governed by God, you will be ruled by tyrants"
B. Here's What Needs to Happen
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2Ch 7:14)
At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. (Jer 18:7-8)
CONCL: Our country cannot continue in its current path without reaping God’s judgment.
Our children will not experience the freedom, prosperity, and opportunities that we have.
Christians have the responsibility to live holy lives.
We must speak out against indecency, immorality, and unrighteous laws.
We should participate in electing and supporting godly leaders.
Most of all, we must share the gospel with those around us.