Summary: There are some things we need to do for the coming new year.
PHIL. 3:13-14 “AN OLD RECIPE FOR THE NEW YEAR”
A) God is the giver of many wonderful new things! * For instance .......
* We come to Him by faith in Christ and He gives us the new birth!
* Then He gives us a new nature ... A new heart ... A new life ... A new hope ... And a new task!
* Finally, at the end of the way He will give us a new body in a new home called heaven!
* Nothing up there will ever be old or worn out! * God says, “Behold, I make all things new.”
B) Now to you and me God is giving a new year ... This means a new start for some of us!
* We have not done so well in the old year ... We have not lived for God as we should!
* Now we have a chance to make a new start ... And this means a new hope for some!
* We have dreamed that certain things would happen in the old year, but these dreams have not
come true, so we’ll hold on to the hope that they will come true during this new year!
C) This may mean new obligations for some! * Maybe it means a new job .......
* Maybe it means new family responsibilities or maybe a new position to maintain.
* You are resolving to carry these responsibilities more successfully in the coming year!
* Maybe it means a new life to live! * This past year you were not saved, but now you love the
Lord and you want this new year to count for Him!
* Well, it’s time for all of us to turn over a new leaf and to write a new story on a clean page!
* And God help us to write the story well!
D) In our text we see Paul looking two ways!
* He looked backward and thought of all that he had suffered for Christ and all that he had
accomplished for Christ.
* Then he said, “I am going to turn my back upon all of that, for there is something more important
ahead.” * Then looking forward he said .......
* “I am going to rededicate my life to Christ and redouble my efforts for Him ... I am pressing
toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
E) In like manner, it behooves us to look back over the past for a time .......
* We are to turn all of that over to God and leave it with Him!
* Then we are to look toward the new year, resolving in our hearts that with God’s help we will
make it a better year for Him!
* We wish each other a happy new year, but we must do more than that!
* Let me give you an old recipe for the new year ... It consists of three “R’s.”
(1) WE ARE TO REPENT! * Now we know that repentance is the first step to God!
* A man is never saved and can never get to God until first of all, he has repented of his sin!
* Then in connection with repentance he puts his trust in Christ and is saved!
A) Every man who comes to God through Christ has repented of his sin!
* But there is also a repentance for the Christian! * Repentance has first brought the Christian into
good standing with God ... We have become a child of God and that relationship will continue.
* However, our enjoyment of that relationship can be altered!
* We can sin and lose that close, sweet fellowship with the Lord!
* We sin in some manner every day ... In deed, word or thought!
B) We all need to come to God and repent of our sins and ask God for forgiveness!
* We should never go to sleep at night until we have looked up to God, confessed our sins, and
gotten everything right with Him! (Don’t start the new year with sins on your record – Repent!)
C) I don’t have to name your sins for you ... You already know what they are!
* Here’s the good part ... It doesn’t matter what you’ve done or where you’ve been!
* Jesus still loves you and He will forgive you if you ask Him to (1 John 1:9)!
* Then He promises to put all our sins behind His back never to remember them (Heb. 8:12)!
* And God says, “I will cast your sins behind my back and never bring them up to you again!”
D) Not only are there sins to be repented of ... There is neglect to be repented of!