Summary: Four Questions On Hope 1. What Is My Hope? 2. What Is the Value of My Hope? 3. What Is Foundation of the Christian's Hope? 4. Who Do Not Have Such Hope?
A kedge anchor is used when a ship is grounded
- Sailors will row the kedge anchor as far as they can from the ship they wish to move.
- They drop the kedge anchor into the sea.
- Sailors on board begin to operate the winch and pull their way towards the anchor.
- This is know as kedging.
- Normally we don't think of moving towards an anchor.
- The anchor represents the past.
- It holds us back.
- Sometimes the anchor is our future.
- We move towards it.
- Especially in turbulent times
- The anchor is not behind us, it is before us. We are to kedge our way
1. Purpose of an anchor-security and stability
2. Prevents ship from drifting
3. Keeps soul from going astray
- Hebrews 6:18-19.GNT
- Hope an anchor
Four Questions On Hope
What Is My Hope?
What Is the Value of My Hope?
What Is Foundation of the Christian's Hope?
Who Do Not Have Such Hope?
1. WHAT IS MY HOPE?
1. Not merely that he is a Christian.
- Too many say, "I hope I'm a Christian."
- Married man knows he is married,
- Why shouldn't Christian know he is a Christian.
- Married to Christ. Rom. 7:4
Ro 7:4 So, m y brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.
2. That he will see Jesus.
1 Jn 3:1-2 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is
3. That he will be raised from dead.
I Cor. 15:19
1 Co 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
4. That he shall escape grief.
2 Cor. 4:16,17
2 Co 4:16-17 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more eceeding and eternal weight of glory;
5. That he shall enjoy eternity.
Php 3:20 NKJV For our citizenship (conversation) is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
II. WHAT IS THE VALUE OF HOPE?
1. We are saved by it.
Ro 8:24-25 NIV For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
2. Keeps us "looking ahead."
2 Tim. 4:7,8
2 Ti 4:7-8 (NKJV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing
3. Causes us to hold on.
Heb 3:6 (ISV) but Christ was faithful as the Son in charge of God’s household, and we are his household if we hold on to our courage and the hope that we boast about.