Summary: Angels: Their reality, their reason and their Ruler
Angels at Our Side #1
Sermon by: Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - Feb. 22, 2006
*Do you know whose birthday is today? George Washington. He was born on Feb. 22, 1732. This country was founded through some of the greatest men who have ever lived.
*To give you a taste of Washington, listen to part of a letter he received from the members of America’s oldest Jewish synagogue. In 1790, Rhode Island had become the final state to ratify our Constitution. Washington went to Newport to celebrate, and this letter was given as part of the celebration.
“Permit the children of the stock of Abraham to approach you with the most cordial affection and esteem for your person and merits ~~ and to join with our fellow citizens in welcoming you to NewPort.
With pleasure we reflect on those days ~~ those days of difficulty, and danger, when the God of Israel, who delivered David from the peril of the sword, ~~ shielded Your head in the day of battle: ~~ and we rejoice to think, that the same Spirit, who rested in the Bosom of the greatly beloved Daniel enabling him to preside over the Provinces of the Babylonish Empire, rests and ever will rest, upon you, enabling you to discharge the arduous duties of Chief Magistrate in these States.
Deprived as we heretofore have been of the invaluable rights of free Citizens, we now with a deep sense of gratitude to the Almighty disposer of all events behold a Government, erected by the Majesty of the People ~~ a Government, which to bigotry gives no sanction, to persecution no assistance ~~ but generously affording to all Liberty of conscience, and immunities of Citizenship . . .
This so ample and extensive Federal Union whose basis is Philanthropy, Mutual confidence and Public Virtue, we cannot but acknowledge to be the work of the Great God, who ruleth in the Armies of Heaven, and among the Inhabitants of the Earth, doing whatever seemeth him good. . .” (1)
*George Washington was one of the countless great men and women used by God to make a difference in our world. But human beings are not always strong enough to get the job done, and God has other amazing servants: His angels.
*Tonight we begin a study on the angels at our side.
1. First, God wants us to know the reality of angels. Angels are just as real as you and me.
*Now, this passage of Scripture is not primarily about angels; it’s mainly about Jesus Christ. But the Word of God does speak about angels here, and when it does, it speaks in a totally matter-of-fact way, as we see in vs. 5-6:
5. For to which of the angels did He ever say: "You are My Son, today I have begotten You? And again: "I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son?’’
6. But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: "Let all the angels of God worship Him.’’
*I suppose there have always been people who did not believe in angels. Acts 23 gives an example as Paul appeared before the Council in Jerusalem.
6. But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, "Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee; concerning the hope and resurrection of the dead I am being judged!’’
7. And when he had said this, a dissension arose between the Pharisees and the Sadducees; and the assembly was divided.
8. For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection and no angel or spirit; but the Pharisees confess both.
*We also see these unbelievers in Mark 12:18-27:
18. Then some Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him; and they asked Him, saying:
19. "Teacher, Moses wrote to us that if a man’s brother dies, and leaves his wife behind, and leaves no children, his brother should take his wife and raise up offspring for his brother.
20. "Now there were seven brothers. The first took a wife; and dying, he left no offspring.
21. "And the second took her, and he died; nor did he leave any offspring. And the third likewise.
22. "So the seven had her and left no offspring. Last of all the woman died also.
23. "Therefore, in the resurrection, when they rise, whose wife will she be? For all seven had her as wife.’’
24. Jesus answered and said to them, "Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God?
25. "For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.