Summary: THE IMPORTANCE AND COSTLINESS OF THE ANOINTING
• In the history of Hanukkah, the Jews only had enough oil to burn in the temple for one day, however the oil miraculously burned seven days longer.
• THE NUMERAL FIVE- the number of exercise and responsibility of weakness,
• And of grace in spite of weakness.
• Weakness clothed in the might of God.
• This describes the holy anointing oil in its five-fold composition speaking of pure grace.
Here is represented the moral graces and perfections of Christ
• The oil must contain only the most excellent spices.
• For He is the chiefest among ten thousand and altogether lovely!!
• 1. MYRRH- a fragrant spice, of bitter taste but of sweet aroma.
• It flows freely from the tree, so figures the grace of His lips.
• Song 5:13 His cheeks are like a bed of spices, banks of scented herbs. His lips are lilies, Dripping liquid myrrh.(NKJ)
• 2. CINNAMON- the inner bark sweet and fragrant,
• speaking of the Excellency of His character,
• as observed by those of the inner circle.
• 3. CALAMUS- forms the pitch of the tree,
• type of the sweet perfection of Christ in His thoughts and actions.
• 4. CASSIA- the outer bark
• Symbol of this same Excellency of character, but manifest in His public walk before men.
• 5. OLIVE OIL- denotes the Holy Spirit,
• In whose energy He continually acted.
• And speaks of the five fold ministry as a ministry of grace.
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, (NKJ)
• 1. Myrrh-His lips-word,
• 2. Cinnamon-Inner-character,
• 3. Calamus-thoughts,
• 4. Cassia-outer bark-character manifest-actions,
• 5. Olive oil-spirit energy
• I Jn 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
• 5545 chrisma (khris’-mah);from 5548; an unguent or smearing, i.e. (figuratively) the special endowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit: KJV-- anointing, unction.
• Isa 10:27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing. (KJV
• Isa 61:1
• 1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; (KJV)
• 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, (KJV)
• 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. NIV