Summary: Paul spoke of another gospel which was not another. There is a counterfeit Christianity which has no value.
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
1. Paul spoke of ANOTHER GOSPEL, which was not another. That sounds like a mystery.
2. What he was talking about was a perverted Christianity – call it Christian but gut the essential elements of it.
3. The gospel is what saves us. Pervert or change the gospel and people will be lost even though they still call themselves Christian.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
1. Satan can appear as an angel of light. It is his job to try to deceive even the elect.
2. There are ministers who can appear as even apostles and to be righteous.
3. The key is to compare their gospel with the gospel of Paul. The devil has a counterfeit gospel that he is peddling. It might look like the real thing, but it is not.
4. If you sold your car and received what you thought was real money. But when you took it to the bank they’d tell you that it was fake. They would give you nothing for it. But you would say you were led to believe it was real. The bank would say sorry – but you have been deceived.
5. The counterfeit gospel is also good for nothing. There are people believing that they are saved when they have been deceived by another gospel.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
1. Paul CERTIFIED, he declared what he preached to be AUTHENTIC – real and unaltered.
2. There is artwork and collectibles that come certified that they are not imitations or a copies – but the real thing – 100%.
3. We need to verify that we have obeyed the real gospel of Jesus.
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1. The basic gospel is the DEATH, BURIAL and RESURRECTION of Jesus.
2. The gospel must be applied to each of us personally if we are to be saved.