Summary: Apollos was a man who knew 1) The Scriptures 2) the Saviour- but he still needed 3) The Spirit
Illustr: Kathy, Bea and Kate¡¦s current Alpha
Gen(the south African) said today that she has been dying to tell me(but gadding off to Paris) that she left "on a real high " last week and on the way home in the car, all the lyrics on the radio talked about ’the meaning of life’, this is the real thing etc. then she saw a car the same as Bea’s and was looking hard for her dog so noticed a sign in the back with JOHN 3:16 (quickview)  written on it she felt this had to be significant and raced home to look it up!! with fear in her heart (she said) that it would mean nothing and she would be disappointed. She could not believe it when she read it and it was " just like ewen had said" PRAISE THE LORD!! she doesn’t think this can be a coincidence and has been telling all her friends about it!
- seek and you will find, I say! Find stuff/truths/witness that has been there all along
- wow! Brilliant
Current Alpha: many people just WAITING to be told. Wanting to be told.
- good. Faithful. Go to church. Involved. Believe all (most) of what they¡¦ve heard
o worthy of RESPECT! (for what believe and discipline)
They are just waiting for someone to explain it more accurately
- and when they do they recognise it for what it is
This is much what happened to Apollos, here
- note: no condemnation, ¡¥looking down¡¦ on Apollos at all
o = very flattering of him
- BUT THERE WAS MORE. And he needed to hear it
Let¡¦s have a look at all the things he¡¦s commended for
1) SCRIPTURE- ¡§He was a learned man¡¨ v24
¡K¡¨ with a thorough knowledge of the scriptures¡¨
technically- not the Bible. Just the OT, then
- but this man really knew his stuff¡K and showed his seriousness towards the scriptures
Some of it might go over our head (missed) but says here he was from
- like saying ¡§he was from Cambridge¡¨/¡¨Harvard¡¨
- N coast of Egypt. Financial centre
- 2nd largest city in Roman empire
- city of learning. Before library burnt- 700,000 scrolls!
- Huge Jewish population & heritage
o Source of LXX 200BC
- Home to Philo (round this time). ¡V philosophy!
o Jew who sought to reconcile Gk philosophy and wisdom with the Jewish scriptures
o His approach produced a great love and respect for their scriptures with an allegorical approach to interpretation
„X Not fighting over jots and tittles
„X Finding what¡¦s behind the text
„X Lots of pictures, ¡¥types¡¦ etc
- It¡¦s THIS (^) approach that makes some think that Apollos was the author of ¡¥Hebrews¡¦
o V. allegorical. Respectful. Learned
Funny- some are really against ¡¥Christian education¡¦
- emails this week (re how much students have to have chased out of them after Seminary)
- irritates me, actually.
Such an attitude really is not there in scripture
- applauds learning¡K knowing your Bible
- often find those who are most against ¡¥such learning¡¦ are the ones who fight over jots and tittles (which is an academic approach/style!)
o it¡¦s just they want to make sure it¡¦s THEIR style