Summary: The topic of "ghosts" has been around as long as there have been human beings. “Ghost Stories” have been a mainstay on Halloween nights. Are they real?
ARE GHOSTS REAL?
My key text is a verse by King Solomon.
1. A Sunday School teacher asked her class of small boys how Solomon happened to be so wise. One little boy said, "That’s because he had so many wives to advise him."
2. A little girl said, "King Solomon is my favorite character in the Bible. He was kind to ladies and animals." The startled teacher asked, "Who told you that?" "Nobody told me. I read it myself in the Bible," asserted the little girl. "It says Solomon kept 700 wives and 300 porcupines."
B. THE TOPIC OF GHOSTS
1. The topic of "ghosts" has been around as long as there have been human beings. “Ghost Stories” have been a mainstay on Halloween nights.
2. Casper the Friendly Ghost introduced American children to the concept. Then came the movie “Ghost Busters” and in its wake came "Ghost Hunters."
3. To me, hardly anything is as ridiculous as the reality show, "Ghost Hunters," as they go through old houses and buildings and pretend they hear or see something.
4. This brings us to the whole genre of "haunted" houses or buildings. Is all of this hocus-pocus?
5. Probably most of it is imagination, but undoubtedly, some of it has a true spiritual basis. Hopefully we'll come back to this later.
C. DEFINITION: “Ghosts” -In traditional belief and fiction, a ghost or specter, phantom, or apparition is the soul or spirit of a dead person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. (Wikipedia)
D. MENTIONED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
2. After Christ’s resurrection, He had them touch Him to convince them that He was not a ghost; “Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” Luke 24:39
I. SENSITIVITY TO THE SPIRITUAL REALM
A. THE SPIRITUAL REALM IS REAL
1. There is a spiritual realm. Some can see it and others can't. This is very clear in the story of Elisha and his servant.
2. “Then he sent horses and chariots and a strong force there. They went by night and surrounded the city. When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh, my lord, what shall we do?” the servant asked. “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” And Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes so he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha” 2 Kgs. 6:14-17.
B. SOME PERCEIVE IT CLEARER
1. The spiritual realm was there, but until God opened the eyes of Elisha's servant, he could not see them.