Summary: God is still a God of miracles.
SERIES: “ANSWERS TO SOME OF LIFE’S DIFFICULT QUESTIONS”
TEXT: JUDGES 6:11-13
TITLE: “ARE MIRACLES REALLY TRUE?”
INTRODUCTION: A. There’s an old story about a skeptic who continually challenged a local preacher.
The skeptic loved to try to paint the preacher as intellectually inferior because of his
faith. The preacher took the skeptic’s challenges with a lot of grace and restraint.
One morning, the preacher was eating breakfast at the corner diner when the
skeptic came in. Eyeing the preacher, the skeptic walked over to the table and began
to harangue this humble servant of the Lord concerning the validity of miracles. He
took great pains to ridicule the preacher concerning a belief in miracles and finally
taunted, “Give me one concrete example of a miracle. Just one concrete example.”
The preacher had taken enough abuse from the skeptic. The preacher stood,
politely wiped his mouth with his napkin, and kicked the skeptic as hard as he could in
the shin. The skeptic grabbed his leg, yelled some profanities, and sat down in a booth
– totally in shock at the preacher’s behavior.
The preacher sat down across from the skeptic and asked, “Did you feel that?” The
skeptic cursed again and declared in no uncertain terms that his throbbing leg had
certainly felt the kick. The preacher smiled and said, “If you hadn’t, well now, that
would have been a miracle.”
1. Have you ever struggled with the truth that God works miracles?
a. Maybe you’ve been in a situation where you asked God for something and
didn’t get what you wanted
b. Perhaps a loved one was suffering from a debilitating disease or life-threatening
c. Or you had financial difficulties or another kind of need that had to be taken
care of in a big hurry
2. You’ve read about miracles in the Bible
3. You’ve heard other folks claim miraculous events in their lives
4. But you’re just not sure that even if God performed miracles at one time or another
that He still operates in the same way today.
B. I think we’ve become too loose with the term “miracle”
1. People find a parking spot in a crowded park lot and they praise God for a miracle
2. They find a lost wallet or lost keys and they praise God for a miracle
3. But sometimes they don’t find a parking spot in a crowded parking lot or find their
wallet or keys
--What happened to the miracle then?
4. Once there was a fellow who was quite overweight and decided to do something
about it. He changed his eating habits and began an exercise program. Everyone
where he worked complimented him on his efforts because they were working.
However, one morning he walked into work carrying a box of bakery donuts.
Everyone was shocked and so they asked why he had the donuts. He said, “You
guys know that I love donuts; especially donuts from Wally’s Bakery. As I drove
into work this morning, I thought those donuts. I prayed that if God wanted me to
have donuts this morning that there would be a parking spot open right in front of
the bakery’s doors. And guess what? The seventh time around the block, there