Summary: To get us thinking about what it means to be a real Christian
Are you a REAL Christian?
Title: Are you a REAL Christian?
Lesson Aim: To get us thinking about what it means to be a Real Christian.
1. I had a friend, who, when he would travel, would ask the person sitting next to him on the plane if they were a Christian.
If answered yes, he would then proceed to ask them if they were a real Christian? And then it would lead to serious discussion.
2. Most folks don’t mind being asked if they are a Christian, just don’t start probing and trying to find out if they are a REAL Christian.
3. Jesus asked a sobering question?
"…When the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"
4. I, too, ask a question. When Jesus comes back to earth, will he find real Christians in America?
a. They tell me, the divorce rate in America is at times higher among professing Christians than among the worldly people.
Too many young so-called Christian young people are as involved sexually as their unsaved peers.
We’ve got woman preachers, we got homosexual preachers
A. What has happened to Christianity in America?
1. Our form of Christianity has lost its edge.
a. "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." 2 Timothy 3:5
b. We have a Christianity without a cross
"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." (Galatians 6:14, KJV)
Ask the young people what they denied themselves for Jesus this week?
I had an opportunity to lust and I choose not to.
I had opportunity to look at porn and I did not
I had an opportunity to commit immorality and I said no
2. It used to cost us something to be a Christian.
a. Loyal & I were talking the other evening of a time in our national history when it took all night for a person to become a Christian.
b. Now all they require is the sinners prayer.
Its good for starters, but what about after that continuing with…
* What kind of sins were you involved with
* What do you have by way of restitution that needs to be made?
* What sinful habits are going to need to be broken?
c. The more you get cleaned up at conversion, that more apt you are to stay cleaned up.
3. They used to sneer, and laugh and say, oh look, there goes a Christian, now its popular to be a Christian.
a. When I was little they used to laugh at us Mennonites in our little funny clothing.
Now they line up outside our restaurants to buy our pies.
b. Of coarse its popular to be a Christian in America, because the followers of Jesus Christ don’t demand anything anymore from its members.
* "…If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest...” was required of the Ethiopian Eunuch in
* We don’t believe in that born-again stuff anymore one Methodist was heard to say.
That’s interesting, Jesus told Nicodemus, in John 3, You must be born again to see the kingdom of God.
Before these people said you did not need to be born again, they first acted as though they didn’t
1. The question I leave you with you today is, Are you a REAL CHRISTIAN…?