Summary: Motions are meaningless. True worship comes from the heart.
ARE YOU FOR REAL?
27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.
28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.
31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.
32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.
33 And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,
34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
36 And sitting down they watched him there;
A. What a Decision Pilate Had to Make!
1. He had to judge the Judge of all the earth
2. He had to decide between Christ and the crowd
3. We must each do the same
B. I know, here’s my way out, I’ll offer the Crowd Jesus or Barabbas
1. The Master or the murderer
2. Jesus took Barabbas’ place. . . and yours and mine
C. Maybe after the Whipping, the Mocking, the Crown of Thorns they will ask me to release Him.
They Placed a Crown upon Jesus but Did Not Make Him Their King
1. The soldiers dressed Jesus as a king
a. The scarlet robe
b. The crown of thorns
c. They were only pretending
2. Many pretend that Jesus is their king
He seems to be king at church, but not at home
He seems to be king before believers, but not at work
3. The crown of thorns hurt Jesus, brought blood from His brow
a. When we only pretend we hurt our Lord
b. Let’s really make Him king of our lives
B. They Praised Jesus but Did Not Mean What They Said
1. "Hail, King of the Jews"
a. These were words of praise
b. But they were mocking words
2. Many say things about Jesus they do not mean
a. Many songs are but lies
b. Many commitments are never carried out
c. Many testimonies don’t ring true
3. Jesus deserves our total dedication
4. Let’s give Him our lives without reservation
C. They Knelt as to Worship Jesus but It Was All Form
1. How deeply His heart must have been grieved!
2. In bowing they were just going through empty motions
a. They hit Him with a reed
b. They spat upon Him
c. They wounded Him and now pretended to worship Him
3. So it is with many today
a. Too many theatrics
b. Too little theology
4. Jesus deserves worship from our hearts; nothing less
A. The Challenges before Us
1. To give the Lord control of our lives
2. To praise the Lord from the depths of our hearts
3. To worship the Lord in Spirit and in truth
B. Let the World Know He Is Really Our Savior and King
Parts of this sermon may have been borrowed from sermons contributed to Sermon Central and adapted to fit the ministry to my congregation, thanks to you great pastors and preachers.