Summary: Having the ’Zeal’ for God will produce victories!
Are You Lively?
January 18, 1998 p.m.
THEME: 1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
TEXT: Exodus 1:8-21 **19
A. Definition of Lively
1. Webster’s says: “an adjective meaning: animated; active; exciting;”
2. Webster goes on to describe animated as: to give natural live to; to endow with spirit or vigor; to energize; to inspire; to make alive;
3. I don’t know about you but I’m already feeling like that song from the fifties that says: It makes me wanna shout! Or how many can say, “every time I think about Jesus, makes me feel good”?
B. I don’t know how you feel, but I’m pretty tired of these people trying to tell me how great their God yet they look like they been constipated for a week.
1. My dad used to tell a joke about “The meanest animal in the world.”
a. One little boy said it was a lion. Another said it was a alligator. The third little boy said, “No, it was a animal that was a lion on one end and a alligator on the other. The one said, “There is no such animal.” The other said, “I know, but if there was it would be.” And he said, “Why?” Because if he had a head on each end he couldn’t go to the bathroom.”
2. I tell you that because too many churches and church people today are so interested in being the head that they have forgot how important the whole body is.
a. When you have too many people being heads at both ends, it’s going to be one mean animal with very little joy.
b. The only way we can have real joy and be lively is when we’re doing the perfect will of the Lord. Not that there won’t be persecution, afflictions, oppression, and bondage but if we stay true to Him, God will not only see us through, but He will also make it profitable to the child of God.
A. Turn with me to Exodus chapter 1 starting with verse 8
1. Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph. 9 And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of Israel are more and mightier than we:
a. These people that think you have to be a weakling to be a Christian don’t have any idea what they’re talking about. God doesn’t want people that can be swayed this way and that way.
b. God’s people are a mighty people! And this world doesn’t know what to do with us. But what they don’t know is: Our greatness does not come from ourselves, but it comes from Jesus Christ living in us. The Bible says, Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world!
2. 10 Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.
a. This world thinks they know how to control God’s people. But let me tell you Satan has tried in the past to come against God’s children and every time He has God has beaten him, and He always will.
b. I can remember when Satan almost persuaded us that Sis. Underwood was going to die. But God saw different! He said, “She shall not die, but she shall live!” Somebody shout Hallelujah!