Summary: When God's Word truly impacts lives there are two things that will happen that Satan will attack.
• There are so many in churches today that the devil worries little about. Here in Ephesus two things began to happen in the lives of God’s people that made the devil begin to get worried. Does Satan worry about you?
• Revival always starts with a genuine sense of the Word of God.
Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Only book that you could say this about – Living and Powerful – sharper – transforms
You could say of other books – Insightful – changed my way of thinking – changed my attitude about…
But the Bible is a book that doesn’t just change thoughts and attitudes, and perspectives
It transforms the heart – Cuts deep into the soul – exposes – what is wrong – does surgery
It is living – powerful to change a person fully – Mind /soul /spirit
Not just words on a page – but words with life and power because it comes from God
Impact that the word of God had on the city of Ephesus.
Ephesus was One of the largest and most impressive cities in the ancient world, It was a political, religious, and commercial center in Asia Minor.
Ephesus was the fourth largest city in the Roman empire with a population of 250,000.
Ephesus was heavily influenced by the worship of a goddess of fertility whom they identified with the Greek goddess Artemis, the virgin huntress. Romans identified Artemis with their goddess Diana.)
When Paul came to this city – he met 12 guys he thought were disciples of Jesus – Luke identifies them that way.
But something was missing – Paul asked – Have you been baptized in the spirit. –
Not only had they not been baptized in the Spirit they were not saved yet.
Paul preached Jesus – they were saved and baptized in the Spirit that day.
The work of God in Ephesus began with a move of the Holy Spirit thru the Word
8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.
• How would you like a 3 Month Revival: Paul reasoning and persuading. Would you think the result would be a softened community for the gospel? Two different people can hear the same message and react opposite.
9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the people, he withdrew from them and took away the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.
10 This took place for two years, so that all who lived in Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.
• While many became believers there were others who were hardened by the Word of truth
• How did Paul respond? Withdrew with those who believed. Cut his crowd? Stopped preaching to unbelievers?
• How long did Paul do this? 2 years.
Tyrannus lite meaning is ‘tyrant’. Strange name unless changed during life.