Summary: Why did Jesus call Christians the salt of the earth?
READ THE VERSE!
Salt, why did Jesus call these disciples the salt of the world. (Talk about salt in the shaker)
First of all, Jesus tells His disciples the way that they should be when he started them out with the beatitudes, then, He tells them of the relationship of the citizens of the kingdom to the world from God’s point of view. YOU ARE THE SALT OF THE WORLD.
Remember the beatitudes have to do with two things:
a. faith—beginning, growing, maturity and testing.
b. character of people who would be disciples of Jesus.
It is important to remember the Beatitudes because they set up a foundation upon which the rest of the Sermon on the Mount is built.
Transitional sentence: Why did Jesus use the metaphor of salt when He told His disciples what they were to be. Let us look at some interesting things that salt does.
I. SALT IS USED AS A PRESERVATIVE.
A. Why would Jesus tell his disciples that they were the salt of the earth?
B. If we understand that salt was used as a preservative, then we can see one thing that Jesus was telling us about the word that we live in.
1. The reason that food needs a preservative is the fact that it decays with time, meat will rot and will have a foul odor if it has no preservative.
2. Jesus is telling us that the world around us is in a state of decay, and that it needs something to keep it from rotting and stinking.
3. Can you imagine what the world would be like without Christian influence.
4. PSALMS14:1-3 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good. The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men To see if there are any who understand, Who seek after God. They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.
5. READ ROMANS 1:18-32
C. Before World War 1 people felt that the world was going to get better and better, but WW1 made people rethink that.
1. Salt cannot make something good, it can only keep it from going bad.
D. If something is full of decay, then there are diseases that accompany the decay.
1. The world has a bent toward sin.
2. The Christian is to help to be a preservative by trying to show people that they need to follow Jesus, and to stop as much decay as possible.
E. When God decided to flood the world in the time of Noah, the world was in full decay, and God decided to cleanse it. Jesus is telling the disciples that they are to slow the decay.
F. In the Beatitudes the disciples were taught to be different. The reason that the salt will preserve is because it is different than that which it is applied to. In order to act as a preservative, we must be different that the world. We cannot preserve it if we are the same as the world. We are called to be in the world, not of the world.
II. SALT IS USED TO SEASON FOOD.
A. In this metaphor Jesus is also saying that his disciples are to make the world palatable to God and to others as well.
1. The righteous few can make the world better for the rest of the world.