Summary: Joshua is our focus today on this occasion of the Father’s day. He made a choice that made him stood out among the fathers of his day and he remains a role model for all parents of today. We shall do well if we take after him. Let’s see the characteri
FATHER’S DAY SERMON
Text: Joshua 24:15
Speaker: Dixon Olu. David
Date: 15th June, 2008
Topic: AS FOR ME AND MY HOUSE
From generation to generation, God has been looking for people He can breathe through in raising godly generations after them.
The good news is that He had in every past generations found someone in the group of the “minorities.” Of such were Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Joshua and Job, to mention but a few.
Joshua is our focus today on this occasion of the Father’s day. He made a choice that made him stood out among the fathers of his day and he remains a role model for all parents of today. We shall do well if we take after him.
Let’s see the characteristics of the decisions we should make daily as reflected in the word “CHOICE.”
What is your choice?
1. The decisions you make should be COMPELLING
• Compelling means "to drive or urge with force, or irresistibly; to constrain; to oblige; to necessitate, either by physical or moral force."
• The decisions you make should be such a mission statement that drives your life.
• You must be emphatic about this.
a. An encounter with God could make your decision to follow God, a compelling one
• The example of Joshua
Mentored by Moses
Had seen God at work many times before.
His victory over the Cananites – Jericho, King of Sihon and King of the Basham, etc.
Caleb and he followed the Lord wholly hence, they made the Promised Land
b. As we have heard…..” Ps 48:8a
• The testimonies of others could compel your deciding for God.
• The fulfillment of God’s promises too
• Let your family members hear of God’s deeds and faithfulness.
c. “…… so have we seen ……. Ps 48:8a
• What we have seen or experienced should compel us to believe what we have heard
d. For this God is our God ……. Ps 48:14a
• What can compel you to make such declaration?
e. “……… He will be our guide forever, Ps 48:14b
• What will compel you to decide on this
f. My family’s daily exhortation, Isaiah 2:5, “O house of Jacob (Dixon), come, let us walk in the light of God. (emphasis mine).
2. Your decisions should be HEROIC
• The courageous example of Caleb, Joshua 14:12
• Gideon in destroying family gods, Judges 6:23-32
• Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
Dan. 3:16-18 – Heroic Response
Dan. 3:24-27 – Heroic Revelation
Dan. 3:24-27 – Heroic Reward
• Your heroic decisions will bring heroic revelations of what God can do in and through you, and should result in heroic reward for you, as people come to know your God through you.
• As for me …..
• Joshua was ready to go it all alone and his family
• If no one joins me, still I will follow … no turning back (song).
3. Your decisions should be OPTIMISTIC
With a positive attitude: tending to take a hopeful and positive view of future outcomes.
Riding on the wings of faith, carrying hope.
Observe all the heroic decisions and actors in point 2 above. All were loaded and pregnant with optimism.