Summary: David's mother is unknown to us but she left a legacy in her son, David.
1. Recently we heard of the passing of Barbara Bush – wife of former President George H. W. Bush; and mother of former President George W. Bush
2. But, who George Washington’s Mother? (Mary Ball Washington); Abraham Lincoln’s Mother? (Nancy Hanks Lincoln) – virtually unknown women but influenced our two most famous Presidents
3. Influence of One
If you own a Bible in your native language, you can thank William Tyndale, who yielded his life for the principle of translating Scripture. Tyndale was born near the end of the 1400s, attended both Oxford and Cambridge, and fell in love with the Scripture. He determined to make the Bible available in English, but such a project was illegal in England. Fleeing to Germany, Tyndale worked on his translation of the New Testament. Copies were smuggled back into England, and Tyndale went to work on the Old Testament. He was betrayed, arrested, strangled, and burned at the stake. His Bible was banned, but its influence was irreversible. Ninety percent of his words and phrases were passed into the King James Version, published in 1611.
One person’s dedication to God’s calling can make a difference for multitudes. We might not live to see our legacy, and only in heaven will we learn how greatly God used us on earth. The full calculations won’t be tabulated until the Lord returns. “Therefore … be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58).
If God spares my life, before many years pass, I will make it possible for a boy behind the plow to know more Scripture than you do. William Tyndale to a critic
4. An Obscure Person of Great Influence Psalm 86.16 (NIV)
16 Turn to me and have mercy on me;
show your strength in behalf of your servant;
save me, because I serve you
just as my mother did.
5. We do not know the name of David’s Mother, but she had a great impact on him and the world through him
I. Some People We Know in Scripture
A. Famous Mothers
2. Jochebed (Moses and Aaron)
3. Hannah (Samuel)
4. Elizabeth (John B)
5. Mary/Miriam (Jesus)
6. But we don’t know the name of David’s mother
B. David’s Family
1. David’s father – Jesse and his seven brothers (Eliab was oldest; Abinadab; Shammah. . .)
2. Great detail about his ancestry with Ruth, Boaz, and their son, Obed, father of Jesse, father of David who would be the ancestor of Jesus
3. But we don’t know the name of David’s mother
C. David – ULTRA Famous
1. Psalmist (Psalm 23)
2. Lion and Bear
a. David did nothing worse than Saul and Saul lost the Kingdom
b. Must be a heart issue
c. David’s heart and repentance Psalm 51.1-4
5. But we don’t know the name of David’s mother
II. What We Can Deduce About David’s Mother
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;