Summary: Taking advantage of the opportunities that God has set before us; knowing that we get out of it what we put into it.
Series: Study of Galatians
Text: Galatians 6:6-10
Title: “As We Have Opportunity”
I. Sharing (6)
• On the surface it seems Paul is merely saying support those who teach the word, your pastor.
o Which scripture clearly supports the idea of financially providing for the needs of the pastor.
• However let us consider this verse in the light of vs. 5.
o Because each one is to do his or her own part, everyone is to “share” or have fellowship in “good things” that is the work of the ministry of Christ’s church.
o That is where many churches fall short, in understanding our roles.
o My job is to preach and teach the word, to be an under shepherd and overseer.
o Anything else is just my service to God in supporting the ministry of the church. Again we are all responsible to carry out the ministry of the church.
II. Sowing and Reaping (7-8)
• In other words God is saying you will get out of it what you put into it.
o The effort cannot be small and the blessings great.
o If we want to be blessed then we need to go out and be a blessing to someone else.
• This principle is also true of our own personal discipline.
o The fact is you can’t plant an onion and expect a strawberry to grow.
o Are we sowing more often to the flesh or to the spirit?
o Are we allowing the flesh to dominate our time, our money, our energy?
o Are we indulging the flesh or are we sacrificing for the spirit??
III. Encouragement (9-10)
• How do we grow weary?
o By loosing patience when our reality does not match our expectations.
o By loosing perspective when our vision stops being upward and starts looking around.
Thinking we are the only one who cares or we are the only one doing anything.
o By forsaking protection when we fail to put on the full armor of God each and every day.
o By forgetting the promise “in due season we shall reap if we do not loose heart.”
God will not be rushed by our agenda, He is not persuaded by our lack of planning; He will work all things according to His timing.
• Based on this understanding or knowledge, Paul is saying “now go out and do something; especially something edifying to the body.”
• “as we have opportunity” this denotes a specific time frame, meaning “do it while you can because the moment is fleeting.
• I’ve said before that Satan’s greatest weapon is making people think there is always more time; more time to serve, more time to give, more time to pray, more time to read God’s word, more time to be in God’s house, more time to _____________.