Summary: A Lesson on Assimilation for the inner-core or leadership team. Also, you could share this lesson with the hospitality or greeting core. Please keep in mind that many parts of this lesson were taken from books, tapes, seminars. I quoted where possible
Rev. J. Kevin Putty, Presenter
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
1. Assimilation is _______________ oriented.
1) _________________ involves an immediate decision whereby a person turns from their sinful and evil behavior (repentance) and ask Christ to become the Lord of their life.
2) _________________ is the spiritual process of getting people committed to Christ, committed to the local church, to mature in the Christian faith and mobilized to reach and disciple new believers.
3) __________________ is the system that we use to make sure that discipleship happens within our local church.
(i) Examples of Assimilation Systems …. The 5 Circles of Commitment and The Diamond of Spiritual Growth
2. The _____________ of an assimilation program are …
1) _______________: To incorporate men, women and children into the
body of Christ.
2) _______________: to make insiders out of outsiders.
3) _______________: to make and keep people as a healthy part of our
4) __________________________________: to make converts similar to the
other members of the body of
3. How effective have most churches been when it comes to assimilating their ___________________?
Lyle Schaller’s research says that a third to a half of all protestant church members do not feel a sense of belonging to the congregation of which they are members.
4. Individual churches and pastors need to ask __________ _______________ in order to discover whether or not they have an assimilation problem at their church. What are the questions that we should be asking ourselves?
1. Do you have a number of individuals and families who transfer out of your church but keep their same mailing address?
2. Does your church have a significant percentage of people without a specific role, task or small group identification?
3. Is there a large percentage of the membership whose worship attendance is one Sunday per month or less? Who are they? Do you know the reasons for this fact?
4. Do a significant percentage of your members feel left out? These are the people who use the words, “they, them, and theirs”instead of, “us, we and ours”. A survey can be used to discover the answer to this question.
5. Are there large numbers of visitors who do not visit a second time?
6. Do you have a large number of new members without friends or relatives in the church? (WE WILL COME BACK TO THIS ISSUE)
What does it mean to have an _____________ assimilation package in your church?
5. An Effective Assimilation system is:
1) ____________________ sound.
2) Spiritually _____________________.
3) ___________________ structured.
Win Arn calls utilizing the power of relationship “The Friendship Factor.”
6. Effective Assimilation Churches do not ________________, “the Friendship Factor!”