Summary: The world tries to stifle the name of Jesus. Why? Because that name opens the door to the supernatural. The Name of Jesus is the only name recognized on Earth, in Hell, and in Heaven. It has the power to save souls, heal bodies, and conquer demons!
AT THE NAME OF JESUS
A. HUMOR: “IT’S A MIRACLE”
1. There were a couple of brothers who didn’t mind
getting sent to their room as punishment, because just outside their window was a huge old fruit tree.
2. The boys would close their door, raise the window, and climb down the tree. After an hour of playing in the field behind the house, they would climb back up the tree and then call downstairs and ask their Mom if they hadn’t suffered enough.
3. One day the boys overheard their Dad tell Mom that he planned to cut down the tree. "It hasn’t borne any fruit in years," he said. The boys panicked.
4. That afternoon they pooled their finances and bought a sack of apples and some black thread from the village market. After dark they spent an hour tying apples on the tree.
5. Next morning they waited eagerly for Dad’s discovery. "Mary!" he finally called out. "You’re not going to believe this. That old fruit tree is covered with apples. It’s a miracle."
6. The boys "high-fived" each other and felt very proud. Then Dad continued, "It’s a real miracle, considering that it’s a pear tree."
5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
1. It’s amazing how the world tries to stifle the mention of the Name of Jesus.
2. “Then they [Sanhedrin] called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus” Acts 4:17. “They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name” Acts 5:40-41.
HAS ANYTHING CHANGED? NO!
3. On his show “Home Improvement,” Tim Allen was told he couldn’t mention the name of Jesus in connection with a Christmas episode! It’s TABOO!
4. Chuck Colson wrote that "ABC officials chose to bleep out the word "Jesus" on its talk show, "The View." A guest who had a very successful weight-loss program exclaimed, “Thank you, Jesus, is all I have to say!" The network bleeped out Jesus’ name!
5. Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham, has created firestorms for his use of the name ‘Jesus’ in public prayers. As long as preachers pray to a generic God, or to Buddha, or Mohammed, or to Goddess Gaia – there’s no problem.
6. But if you say “Jesus” – stand by – the politically correct police will pounce on you in a moment. Isn’t it funny how those who lecture Christians on how we need to be tolerant, have zero tolerance for the name of Jesus!
7. Even the Church today is hesitant to say the Name of Jesus. Make no mistake about it, the devil is committed to silencing the name of Jesus and all Christians who are so bold as to lift up His mighty, saving Name.
8. The answer is not to back off in fear, but to be even more diligent to lift up the name of Jesus! It is a time to be bold and courageous, not timid and fearful. Why?
I. IT’S THE ONLY NAME RECOG. ON EARTH
A. POWER OF THE NAME OF JESUS
1. Every time a miracle took place in the N.T., it was because Jesus did it or because a disciple did it through the name of Jesus. Jesus prayed, “While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave Me” Jn. 17:12.
2. We’re SAVED through that Name; (“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” Acts 4:12). We become Sons of God by believing on His Name, Jn. 1:12. We are FORGIVEN through the Name of Jesus, Acts 2:38.
3. Jesus is PRESENT among us when we gather in His Name, Mt. 18:20.
4. We’re to do GOOD WORKS in the Name of Jesus, Mk. 9:41; “give a cup of cold water in My Name.”