Summary: Living a Life of Thanksgiving
1. Life in relationship with God is filled with blessings (vv. 1-2)
• Gratitude, Song, Praise
• Passionate, with life, energy
• Psalm 34:-12 (Concerning David, when he pretended to be insane in the presence of Abimelech, who drove him out, and he departed.)
• Psalm 66:1-4: "Shout joyfully to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of His name;
• David was serious about praising the Lord.
2. Life in relationship with God is whole and healthy (v. 3)
• Satan – Accuser
• We have enough for him to accuse us
• We have an advocate; stands in front of us
• Heals us (Fear, doubt, depression, anger, lust, hate jealously, pride, greed)
• Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
3. Life in relationship with God is meaningful (vv. 4-5)
• Because He forgives our sins
• because He gives us relationship
• because He heals our soul’s diseases - life is meaningful.
This verse can be rendered, "He keeps your life from going to waste."Verse 5: He satisfies your mouth - He gives us satisfaction in our old age. Remember he is speaking to his soul, he is saying that one of the benefits of being God's people is that when we are old we will not have to look back upon our lives with regret. Here are six practical suggestions to consider as you praise the Lord.
1. Be aware - Forget not his benefits.
2. Be honest - Don't be a phony. Don't put on an act.
3. Be grateful - There is nothing that encourages praise like gratitude. Have a thankful heart.
4. Be vocal - Tell someone. Sing His praises. Bless someone with a testimony.
5. Be natural - Praise God in a way that is natural for you.
6. Be consistent - Make it part of your everyday experience.
How about you? Are you living a life in relationship with God? If so, you cannot help but praise Him. This is the same passion David possessed. How do you praise him? With your life. But we must be careful not to fall into the rut the Israelites fell into - saying one thing and doing another. Isaiah 29:13 "The Lord said: Because these people approach Me with their mouths to honor Me with lip-service - yet their hearts are far from Me, and their worship consists of man-made rules learned by rote." David said I will praise Him with all that is within me. That means, praise Him with my attitudes, my actions, my family, my finances, my words and my work, my religion and my relationships, my voice and my vocation, my church and my children, my hobbies and my habits, I will praise Him not only in word but also in deed. I will praise Him with everything that is within me. Are you living a meaningful life, a satisfied life? Does your soul have diseases that need to be healed? Are you living with an eternal purpose?