Summary: Faith in Jesus is an AWESOME thing!
• SLIDE #1
• We have hit on the subject of faith a couple of times during this 1 John series. Faith is a big issue and John speaks on the subject frequently.
• Awesome- defined as: extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear:
• Life is so awesome when one possesses faith in Jesus because with Jesus all things are possible!
• Do we do we find ourselves not getting too far with our faith? Do we find ourselves living out an average faith? Do we see our walk with Jesus as an adventure or as something we are a bit afraid to totally open up to?
• Let me tell you, no I implore you, OPEN THE DOOR, go all in with Jesus.
• Faith is awesome because it leads to so many awesome things in this life and the hereafter.
• Something that is awesome is something that is impressive and inspiring. That is what faith in Jesus should be for us!
• Today we will look at three aspects that make faith so awesome, three reasons we can have AN AWESOME FAITH!
• LET’S BEGIN in 1 John 5:13
• SLIDE #2
• 1 John 5:13 (HCSB) I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
• SLIDE #3
Faith in Jesus is awesome because:
I. Our faith leads to eternal life.
• Faith is awesome because God wants us to live in Him with confidence!
• We spoke of a confident faith a couple of weeks ago.
• In verse 13 we see that John has written this entire letter so that we could know that we have eternal life.
• Verse 13 is not too different from John 20:31 where he says that he was writing so that people could believe in Jesus and therefore could have life.
• John says he wants us to KNOW this. The word John uses for “know” in verse 13 is not the word that just means to perceive, but it means to know with settled absolute knowledge.
• This word for KNOW means to know through reflection, study, and mental deduction.
• The strength of this word also is found in its other meanings, to be sure, to be assured, to HAVE NO DOUBT!
• How many of you here today know without a doubt that you are saved?
• How many of you are pretty sure you are saved?
• How many are not really sure either way?
• Now, of all that answered, how many are Christians? When I ask if you are a Christian, I am asking you if you have placed your faith in Jesus, repented of your sin, confessed Jesus as Lord and have been immersed into Christ.
• If you have done what God has told us to do in His word, then why do you doubt your salvation?
• Do you think that God wants you to go through life not knowing if you are saved?
• Do you think God wants you to have doubts concerning your salvation?
• If you believe in Jesus, you HAVE eternal life.
• JOHN USES THE PHRASE IN THE FIRST PART OF VERSE 13 “TO YOU WHO BELIEVE IN THE NAME OF THE SON OF GOD…”
• The verb tense indicates those who continually believe will continue to have eternal life.
• If you belong to Jesus, you need to know without a doubt you are saved!
• The other thing we need to realize once again is that we NOW possess the eternal life promised.
• We have not received it in full as of yet, but we will one day when the lord returns!
• Eternal life is a present possession, not just a future hope, it is an ongoing reality for the faithful believer.
• Eternal life is a quality of life, an abundant life both now and the hereafter!
• The contrast of eternal life versus life in this world is found in Galatians 5:19-23
• Let’s look at verses 19-21
• SLIDE #4
• Galatians 5:19–21 (HCSB) Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
• Now let’s look at the contrast of eternal life.
• SLIDE #5
• Galatians 5:22–23 (HCSB) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.
• These verse contrast the way of the world with the way of God!