Summary: This is the 23rd sermon in the series "The End". This sermon looks at the events of Revelation 17 and 18.
Sunday Evening September 29, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “The End” [#23]
1. This evening we are going to review what we have studied many times in this series concerning the One World Religion of the first 3 ½ years of the Tribulation, its destruction by Antichrist; and the fall of Babylon, the Antichrist’s world system of control.
2. Revelation 17 and 18 are good summaries of the Tribulation.
The Woman On The Beast
The Vision Of The Woman
1. “The great prostitute.” This is speaking of something that will cause people to not follow God. Something that leads people to destruction. False religion.
2. “Who sits on many waters”. Verse 15 tells us that the waters are the people of the earth.
3. “With her the kings of the earth committed adultery”. The supposed leaders of the world (the ten kings who answer to the Antichrist) will encourage their people to worship and be a part of this One World Religion. This religion is a do whatever you want to religion.
4. “The inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries”. Most of the world will be blinded by this “new religion” and will follow it.
5. “A woman sitting on a scarlet beast”. This shows how powerful this religion will be.
6. “Dressed in purple and scarlet”. The Romans dressed Jesus in scarlet to mock Him as the king. The color purple was the color of Roman kings.
7. “Glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls.” This religion will look legitimate and very appealing. Notice that it is glittering with gold meaning this will be a false religion that has some truths sprinkled in to make it look good.
8. “She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.” Any religion that is not centered upon Jesus Christ as the only means of salvation is false. There is no other way.
9. “On her forehead: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.”
10. “Drunk with the blood of the saints, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus”. There will be one thing that this religion of tolerance will not tolerate and that is Christians spreading the truth about Jesus.
The Vision Of The Beast
1. “Blasphemous names”. Everything about the Antichrist blasphemes the name of Jesus.
2. “Had seven heads”. Verse 9-10 tells us that there are two meanings. I believe verse 9 is referring to the seven hills of Rome. Verse 10 tells us that they are also seven kings. I believe that this represents five kings of the Roman Empire through John’s lifetime; the existing king, Domitian was the sixth, the seventh will be the Antichrist who will be killed and resurrected as the eighth king whom will be destroyed.
3. “And the horns”. This is the ten kings of the world that will answer to the Antichrist.
4. “[The prostitute] rides [it]”. The One World Religion will be the religion for the first 3 ½ years of the Tribulation. The Antichrist will not be the center of worship until the last 3 ½ years of the Tribulation.