Summary: God has provided an escape for all those who might face this time (through JESUS only). Our challenge is this: "How can we profess allegiance to Him and not share Who it is we serve?" People need Jesus today ... more than ever!
Revelation Part 29, Revelation 18:1-24
- Previously we had seen the destruction of the woman
-- She convinced the world to be a part of her sin
- We’ve also watched humanity be stricken with horrible diseases and plagues
- The religious system of the beast has been revealed
-- Those upon the Earth, even knowing this, continue to blaspheme God
-- The result is the hardening of their hearts against the Gospel (good news)
- Tonight we will reveal all of Chapter 18
-- Attempt to set ourselves up for the coming battle of our Lord and Savior
- IMP: Chapter 18 refers to the economic structure of the anti-Christ’s world
-- This will be his primary seat of power and authority
- Read Revelation 18:1-24
Point 1 - History of Babylon
- Babylon was created after Noah’s flood when mankind was one
-- Mankind left the mountains of Ararat and moved west
-- They also settled east to the plains of Shinar
-- Shinar has been located to current day southern Iraq
- Alexander the Great died in the city of Babylon in 323 BC
-- While he was in the process of reconstructing the city to its former glory
-- Babylon as a city is only a shadow of its former glory
- The Bible says Babylon will be rebuilt and become the greatest of all cities
-- APP: At least in the second half of the tribulation it will become the seat of power for Satan as he operates through the Antichrist
- We do know that Babylon will be rebuilt (biblical prophecy)
-- We just do not know the exact location or where it will reside
-- What is Biblical is Satan will set up his earthly rule here
- IMP: The location he chooses will be for one purpose:
-- To inflame God and snub his nose at God’s creation
-- Therefore, choosing an area around Israel (or the Middle East) is logical
-- APP: Satan’s mission is to hurt God; he desires nothing else
- TRANS: So what does God say about this kind of living?
Point 2 – Don’t take part in the sin!
- (v4) urging for the people to not take part of the sin
-- It is God calling out to the faithful so they can escape
- God’s mercy continues even to the end: 2 Peter 3:9 promise: none should perish
- (v6-8) this is the reason for God’s judgment: PRIDE!
-- Babylon’s love of self and money will be answered with death
-- Why? Because they will not repent and seek the Lord!
- (v8) city will be burned as her punishment (think: Sodom and Gomorrah)
-- The judgment of Babylon will be the signal to this world that the end is coming
-- This also signifies that Christ will soon descend on this world
-- APP: Preparation leads to Obedience because the Bridegroom returns!!
- This is the blessed hope that we crave!
-- This army that rides behind the Lord will forever reign with Him!!
- Notice the verbiage for verses 11-19
-- Displays the sadness of those who made a living off of Babylon
-- It shows how those who live for themselves are now answering for it
- This living will be destroyed in one swift motion by the destruction of the city
-- Babylon will be the capital of the global economy during the Tribulation