Summary: I feel absolutely convinced our four thrusts that constitute our vision are God-given, Holy Spirit-inspired ideas! I am convinced these are the pillars needed for us if KCC is to have a strong and vibrate future
“Back to the Future” movie clip!
BACK TO THE FUTURE
That was of course the trailer to the 1985 “Back to the Future” movie featuring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson. It captures the focus for today.
Summertime is, for many, a time of getting away from work, school, and whatever else has become a norm, so we can cocoon, withdraw and for a while, escape demands. We can grow facial hair and forget about the razor! Or sleep in a little later, buy take-out or simply put off cleaning and other chores.
Of course, we have to come back to reality or if you will, come back to the future; back to looking ahead to kids back to school, older children signing up for post-secondary programs, getting ready for busy schedules and on and on the list goes.
On the eve of our B2C (Back to Church) theme and focus, which is next Sunday, I felt God directing that today would be a fitting time to talk about “Back to the Future” of KCC’s vision and plans.
Let’s back up for a moment as our first step needs to be
1. DEFINING THE VISION
Text - KJV: Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
NLT: When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is happy.
NAS: Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, but happy is he who keeps the law.
MSG: If people can't see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.
Definitions as taken from the dictionary (Congregation to read aloud as needed):
- (Congregation read #1): “Vision is Sensing with the eyes; sight.” Simple enough. We look at something, we see it and we quickly formulate a vision, an image, in our minds.
- (Congregation, #2): “Vision is the act or power of anticipating that which will or may come to be: prophetic vision; the vision of an entrepreneur.” Some people have a tremendous sense of where things are headed and how to prepare for what is will come. Tim Horton knew what he was doing when he opened his first coffee shop in Hamilton! He could see this future of Tim Horton’s on nearly every corner!
- (Congregation read #3): “Vision is a personage, thing, or event that appears vividly or credibly to the mind, although not actually present, often under the influence of a divine (being)”. It is the experience Mary had when an angel appeared to her, Elijah hearing God’s whisper in the cave or possibly more recent accounts in a book called “Heaven is for Real”. It’s the story of four year old Coltin Burpo of Imperial, Nebraska. A near-death experience resulted in him sitting on Jesus’ lap in heaven and meeting his Great Grandfather and his sister that his mom miscarried.
- 77 references to vision in Bible are this type
- (Congregation read #4): “Vision is something seen or otherwise perceived during such an experience: The vision revealed its message.” When we listen to a Bible message or engage in worship God shows us things, usually through impressions on us as we’re engaged in faith community.
As you look at these definitions you can decide for yourself which vision types you think represent KCC’s vision that I’m going to share with you. Whichever it is or is not, of this I’m sure – God gave KCC’s leadership team a VISION for our future!
This takes us to the next point which is
2. DESCRIBING THE VISION (KCC’S)
I feel absolutely convinced our four thrusts that constitute our vision are God-given, Holy Spirit-inspired ideas! I am convinced these are the pillars needed for us if KCC is to have a strong and vibrate future
- Two Retreat Days (Saturday, April 10 2010 – all day … four sheets of flipchart with four key words. We were to stand next to the one we valued most. Four words – Celebration, Discipleship (CY), Small Groups and Stewardship. The first reaction in my spirit was a team completely divided about what our focus should be! We were all over the place!
- 2nd Retreat time was April 21, 11 days later - KCC’S PRIORITY ONE: DISCIPLESHIP. Authority: Matthew 28:19, “Go (IN YOUR GOING)…MAKE DISCIPLES” Discovery – the four focuses are the vision! They moved from four individual flip chart sheets to one vision!
- A few weeks earlier, March 15’10, my personal time of prayer, seeking, searching, exploring…
- What do you think was the main verse at the bottom of the paper that was on the top of the Board’s paper? Matthew 28:19! The Leadership team knew nothing of this process until after all these events!