Summary: An understanding of scriptural, historical and traditional Baptism.
Baptist and Baptism
INTRO: *mud hole baptism After the great rainstorm the other night. A There was a good size hole of water in the back yard of two little boys. A 5yr old and yes younger brother was back there playing in the water. Mom looking out the kitchen window, when the older grabbed his younger brother and shoved his face in to the water hole. As the younger brother recovered and stood laughing, dripping wet.. mom came running out of the house yelling at her oldest son and grabbed him and began to shake him. “Why on Earth did you do that to your little brother? ‘We were just playing church mommy” He said. “I was baptizing him like the preacher did in church last Sunday and said I nopw baptize yo in the name of the father, the son and in-the-hole-you-goes!’
A. Deal with a topic that historically has been controversial
1. It even makes some a little uncomfortable because it is one
that has been so divisive over the years.
2. Now in recent weeks it is in the news with Baptist churches
drifting away from the ordinance and all that it means
a. There has been an ever increasing number of Baptist
Churches accepting what use to be called “Alien Baptism”
1. No not baptizing aliens from outer-space or illegal aliens
2. But accepting into the church member ship those that have been
baptized in another denomination,
a. What is wrong with that? Baptism means different things to
1. Some it is part of salvation, or required to keep saved
b. We will see why we don’t agree, but also that baptism is a
statement of faith that one agrees with the church they are being
baptized into.. There is a need to be re-baptized so as to make that
statement of like-faith
3. Ac 19 reveals some people getting baptized a 2nd time when
their faith changed.
a. They had been baptized in John’s baptism of looking for the
b. But once they learned that Jesus is come. They put their faith
in Him & was baptized again.
4. I want to make clear, my goal is ALWAYS to be biblically
a. All doctrine, standards and understandings for faith is to be
based on what the BIBLE teaches
1. NOT Baptist traditions or ideology
5. While Baptists practice "believers baptism by immersion,"
a. Most other churches utilize other methods such as
sprinkling or pouring,
1. Also they will usually baptize people when they are infants.
6. In the past, this difference was seen literally as a life or
a. Leaders of other churches often advocated executing
Baptists as dangerous heretics,
1. And Baptists were usually willing to die for their convictions.
** “The six-year-old told his mother that he had been baptized. Well, Mom knew he hadn’t been formally baptized, so she probed further into the issue. She asked him to explain what he meant by ‘baptized.’ Little Blake then enlightened his mom, ‘Last night in the bathtub I put my face under the water and thought about Jesus’.”
1. There are probably some people here today that think that
baptism is sticking your head under the water and thinking