Summary: Understanding the 3 different baptisms mentioned in scripture
Read John 1:29-33
Read Acts 1:4-5
• I have shared three different scriptures with you this morning, all concerning baptism, for a purpose
• Next Sunday afternoon right after our service, we will be leaving here, and going about 7-10 minutes down the road (depending on
how fast you drive) to BJ & Denise Jones home.
• We will be conducting a baptism service in their swimming pool as we did last year
• And for any of you that would like to be baptized, we would love for you to invite your friends and family to join us there.
• If you would like to be baptized, there is a signup sheet that I will pass around today.
• If you at some point between this week and next decide that you want to be baptized, that will be fine too
• As I have mentioned before, last year we had about 6 people sign up, and before it was over, we ended up baptizing about 24
• How many of you were there??? That was a glorious day to say the least.
• Last year on the day of the baptism, I ministered on the importance of water baptism, and I will focus in on that subject again next
• But with next week’s water baptism in mind, I have decided to approach this topic in a different way.
• About a year or better ago we tackled this subject in a Wednesday night Bible Study
• But today I want to start a three week series entitled ‘Baptized’
• And in this series I want to attempt to teach on the subject of baptism in a way,
• That if you didn’t previously have a deep understanding of the subject, you will before we are through the next three weeks.
• Most people have a very limited understanding of the importance of baptism in scripture.
• So I want to start by sharing with you this morning that baptism to the believer is so important,
• That God talks about it in great detail throughout the Bible, especially in the new testament.
• The subject of baptism is mentioned over 100 times in the Bible,
• And yet often we will hear the term baptism and chock it up to something that is nothing more than a public confession of our faith
• Folks, as we will talk about over the next few weeks, baptism (even water baptism) is so much more than just a public confession
of your faith.
• So with that, let’s dive right into the Word of God this morning, shall we???
• So I shared three different scriptures this morning for a reason.
• It’s because when the Bible talks about baptism in the New Testament, it is important to note that there are 3 different TYPES of
• Now for those of you who may be skeptical of this, or have never heard this taught before, we are going to dig into the Word over
the next few weeks to see this clearly.
• However, today we are going to identify the three types of baptisms, and will focus for a few minutes at the end on the first type.
• In each type of baptism there are three very important elements we need to understand: