Summary: This is the first of a 5 part series on basic bible doctrines for our new congregation. (New Church Plant as of 4-6-03)
BASIC TRAINING: THE BIBLE IS GOD’S WORD
PSALMS 119:9-16 & 2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17
NOTE: The drama used in this sermon can be obtained from www.willowdrama.com
INTRODUCTION OF THE SERIES:
Vince Lombardi, who was the head football coach of the Green Bay Packers for many years, produced one NFL champion after another. He motivated his men to play every moment of every game to the best of their ability. No matter what the circumstances, the Packers were as strong and tough in the last 2 minutes of the game as they were at the opening kickoff. They never wavered in their sense of purpose. What was their secret? A reporter once asked Lombardi the secret of his success. He said, “It’s simple. I begin each opening season practice session by holding up high a football and saying, `This is a football!’" When asked why he did that Lombardi responded, "So the new players will understand how crucial I believe the fundamentals of football to be and so the returning players will be reminded of how strongly I hold to the basics."
Well, for the next 5 weeks I want us to hold high, the fundamentals of our faith and say, "These are the basics, this is what we believe." The purpose of this series is two-fold.. (1) So that our new people may have an opportunity to clearly know what we believe and why we stand where we do on these basic Biblical issues. God has blessed us with some dynamic growth this year. We are averaging 21% more people in Sunday attendance this year than last and have had a 400% increase (from 10 to 40) in baptisms. Now, with those blessings come responsibility. So, it’s my prayer that these messages will answer a lot of questions for our new members and visitors.
(2) The second purpose though is to remind those who have been in the faith and in the church a long time of these timeless truths. It is a proven fact that we learn best by repetition. 2 Pt 1:12- "I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth.. I think it is right to refresh your memory.."(NIV) Repetition is a strong learning tool. Plus, when you understand why you believe what you do you’ll be better able to explain them to others. PRAYER
INTRODUCTION TO SERMON:
Let’s get started this way. Drama: Jeopardy Game
Now, I’m going to assume that a lot of you wouldn’t do much better at that game then our contestants. I don’t mean to insult you, I’m just trying to be realistic. George Barna wrote The State of the Church in 2002. Barna conducted a survey of self-pronounced Christians and here’s what he found about their knowledge of the Bible.
Now, remember these are Christians..
• 48% could not name the four Gospels.
• 52% cannot identify more than two or three of Jesus’ disciples.
• 60% of American Christians can’t name even five of the 10 Commandments.
• When asking graduating high school “born again Christians” over 50% of them thought Sodom and Gomorrah were husband and wife.
• 61% of American Christians think the Sermon on the Mount was preached by Billy Graham.