Summary: This is another message in my series on the book of Hebrews. It deals with the biblical description of faith.
Text: Hebrews 11:1-3
Topic: “Basics of Faith”
I. FAITH PROVIDES SOMETHING SOLID FOR THE BELIEVER (V.1).
A. Faith provides substance to life.
1. This substance is the foundation for living.
a) substance= that which has foundation, is firm, that which has actual existence.
b) It provides the foundation to help us understand God.
c) It provides the foundation that helps us understand our reason for being.
d) It provides the foundation for our relationships with other people.
B. Faith provides evidence for the future.
1. This evidence provides the proof needed to live the future with confidence.
a) evidence = a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested, conviction.
b) It provides the proof that God is faithful.
c) It provides the proof that God saves.
d) It provides the proof that God is trustworthy.
II. FAITH PERFECTS THE TESTIMONY OF THE BELIEVER (V.2).
A. Faith perfected the testimony of the saints of old.
1. By faith Abel offered God the sacrifice that God required; believing that God would reward him.
a) Faith caused Abel to accept God’s requirement for atonement of sin.
b) Faith resulted in Abel being declared righteous instead of Cain.
c) Faith perfected Abel’s testimony so that it outlived him.
2. By faith Noah obeyed God and built the ark.
a) Faith caused Noah to heed the warning of God about the flood.
b) Faith moved Noah into action following God’s plan for salvation.
c) Faith perfected Noah’s testimony to the point that it brought conviction to those who did not believe.
d) Faith produced righteousness in Noah.
3. By faith Abraham left Ur and followed God.
a) Faith Caused Abraham to forsake his familiar surroundings to obey God.
b) Faith perfected Abraham’s testimony to the point that it encourages others to walk by faith.
B. Faith perfects the testimony of the saints of today.
1. Faith perfects the believer’s testimony because it releases God to demonstrate His power.
a) The centurion released Jesus to demonstrate His power by faith (Matthew 8:5-13).
2. Faith perfects the believer’s testimony by bearing witness to God’s faithfulness.
3. Faith perfects the believer’s testimony by empowering an unwavering character . (Rom 5:3-5).
III. FAITH PENETRATES THE DARKNESS OF IGNORANCE WITH THE LIGHT OF UNDERSTANDING (V.3).
A. Faith dispels the darkness of ignorance.
1. There is no greater darkness than ignorance.
2. The darkness of ignorance can only be dispelled by the light of faith
a) God called Paul to dispel this darkness
B. Faith illuminates the mind and heart with understanding.
2. Faith makes clear the answers to the questions for which there are no natural explanations.
a) Who am I?
b) Why am I here?
c) Where am I going from here?
A- Hymn: “Have Faith in God”
B- Question: Have you placed your faith in Christ?