Summary: The life of Joseph is an example for us to look at, to help us to realize how we can see all of our dreams, hopes and desires become a reality.
EXTRAORDINARY DREAMS #1:
BE A DREAMER – DREAM BIG!
KEY TEXT: “God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or dream, according to His power that works in us.” (Ephesians 3:20).
• Vision for 2010 – God’s extraordinary dreams for YOU.
• God has placed within our heart hopes and dreams that He wants to fulfill for us!
• What are your hopes and dreams for your life? For your relationships? For your family?
WHAT IS A DREAM?
Dream – a condition or achievement that is longed for; an aspiration. (www.dictionary.com).
“A dream is an inspiring picture of the future that energizes your mind, will and emotions, empowering you to do everything you can to achieve it.” (John Maxwell).
THE BIG IDEA: The life of Joseph is an example for us to look at, to help us to realize how we can see all of our extraordinary dreams, hopes and desires become a reality.
• Background: Genesis tells the story of creation, the fall of man, the flood, and the nation of Israel. It chronicles the stories of the Patriarchs – Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
“1 So Jacob settled again in the land of Canaan, where his father had lived. 2 This is the history of Jacob’s family. When Joseph was seventeen years old, he often tended his father’s flocks with his half brothers, the sons of his father’s wives Bilhah and Zilpah. But Joseph reported to his father some of the bad things his brothers were doing. 3 Now Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children because Joseph had been born to him in his old age. So one day he gave Joseph a special gift – a beautiful robe (or coat of many colors). 4 But his brothers hated Joseph because of their father’s partiality. They couldn’t say a kind word to him. 5 One night Joseph had a dream and promptly reported the details to his brothers, causing them to hate him even more.” (Genesis 37:1-5).
1. GOD WANTS US TO DREAM BIG DREAMS!
• Joseph was a dreamer (v.5).
• “For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11).
• If you’ve given up on dreams, it’s time to dream again.
• “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but where dreams come true, there is life and joy.” (Proverbs 13:12).
• What dreams, hopes and desires do you have in your heart? (WRITE THEM DOWN!)
• There are many different kinds of hopes, dreams and desires:
o To dream to do great things in the Kingdom of God (this is not the only dream)
QUOTE: “We’ve been given the capacity to dream and, more importantly, to dream with God. Many believers discount their desires, automatically trying to get rid of everything they want in order to prove their surrender to God.” (Bill Johnson, Dreaming with God). o To dream for things for yourself – a business, a husband or wife, children
o To desire or hope for good things – for your relationships, your family
• “Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4).
2. TO DREAM EXTRAORDINARY DREAMS, WE MUST KNOW THE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE OF GOD (V.3).