Summary: Deals with us being what we should be as a member of His church.
Our subject this morning is really going to be in the form of a challenge – I challenge you to “Be a Good Church Member.”
There are many texts that I could use to preach this sermon, but I have chosen the last words of Peter in 2 Peter 3:18 for they form the challenge to each of us this morning.
18but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18 (NKJV)
What Peter is saying is; “If you want to be a good church member you must first be a good Christian and to do that you must always keep growing.”
So I challenge you this morning to grow as a Christian so that you may be a better church member. Don’t thrive to be average but above average.
I am not thinking only of the ones we recently baptized but of all Christians here this morning. If you want to serve your church and the people of your church then I have 5 “B’s” that I want to share with you that will result in you being a better church member – because you will be a better Christian.
I. Be Something!
A. Be a Child of God.
1. This is the very first thing you must settle.
a) I think it is the first thing you must ask yourself – are you a child of God?
2. Only those who have experienced the new birth are children of God.
a) If you say that ALL men are children of God to start with, that would rule out the Cross.
B. The New Testament has an order.
1. Believe and then be baptized into the church.
a) It is a BIG mistake to reverse the order.
b) I have tried to make this as clear as possible to every person I talk to.
2. Jesus makes this point of new birth coming first to Nicodemus.
a) “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3 (NKJV)
b) “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:5 - 6 (NKJV)
(1) We become children of our earthly father by the physical birth.
(2) We become children of our Heavenly Father by spiritual birth.
(a) Thus, it is only through this act of spiritually being born that we become Children of God.
c) Paul said, “26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus”. Galatians 3:26 (NKJV)
(1) What he didn’t say:
(a) By baptism.
(b) By joining the church.
(c) By being good.
(d) By doing good.
(e) By being a Mason.
(2) He said by faith in Jesus Christ
3. So let me ask you this morning, are you a child of God?
a) Be something – Be a Child of the King.
II. Be a Disciple.
A. The definition of a Disciple is “one who receives instruction from someone else”.
1. It comes from a word that means “to learn”.
a) In the Christian realm it is one who professes Jesus and follows Him for the purpose of learning.
B. To become a true disciple of Jesus means that we are to become so related to Him that His teaching will become a part of us.
1. To do this it will mean forgetting all our preconceived ideas of what a Christian should be and be open to what He has for us to be.
2. We must keep growing.