Summary: Trials, persecution, and danger are only bumps that we climb on to for our spiritual growth.
BE A MAN OF PURITY EVEN IN THE TIME OF DIFFICULTY
In the last days - The time of the gospel dispensation, commencing at the time of our Lord's death, is peculiarly styled the last days would grievous, troublesome and dangerous.
According to Webster time is primarily equivalent to season; in its original sense, opportunity, occasion, or an event, that which come. In II Timothy 3:1-2 says “Remember that there will be difficult times in the last days. People will be selfish, greedy, boastful, and conceited. But what shall we do if time like this shall come and what God wants us to do?
I. GOD WANTS US TO BE BRAVE EVEN IN TIME OF DANGER v.1-2
• DANGER, n. Peril; risk; hazard; exposure to injury, loss, pain.
• II Timothy 3:1-2 “Remember that there will be difficult times in the last days. People will be selfish, greedy, boastful, and conceited; they will be insulting, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, and irreligious”
• Time of Danger:
• In times of danger God wants us to be brave.
• What is BRAVE?
- Courageous; bold; daring; intrepid; fearless of danger; as a brave warrior. It usually unites the sense of courage with generosity and dignity of mind.
a. You will be surrounded by selfish and greedy people.
- Influenced in actions by a view to private advantage.
- Regardless of the welfare of all mankind.
- Lovers of their own selves
b. You will be influenced by disobedient person.
- Neglecting or refusing to obey; omitting to do what is commanded, or doing what is prohibited; refractory; not observant of duty or rules prescribed by authority; as children disobedient to parents; citizens disobedient to the laws.
c. You will be encouraged by the ungrateful and irreligious group.
- Not grateful; not feeling thankful for favors.
- Not making returns, or making ill returns for kindness.
- The word irreligious here is that, people are without the fear of God, or any regard to Him, and living most unholy lives.
II. GOD WANTS US TO BE FAITHFUL EVEN IN TIME OF PERSECUTION V. 3-4
• PERSECU'TION, n. The act or practice of persecuting; the infliction of pain, punishment or death upon others unjustly, particularly for adhering to a religious creed or mode of worship, either by way of penalty or for compelling them to renounce their principles.
a. It involves emotional pain.
“They will be unkind”
“v. 1 says Remember that there will be difficult times in the last days.” They will be unkind even to hurts our emotional feeling just to renounce our principle of faith.
b. It involves external Pain.
There will be difficult times in the last days because Christians would be persecuted not only emotionally but also physically. They will be suffered in physical pain up to the point of backsliding. But God wants us to be faithful up to the end.
III. GOD WANTS US TO BE PATIENT EVEN IN TIME OF TRIALS. V.5
- Experience; suffering that puts strength, patience of faith to the test; afflictions or temptations that exercise and prove the graces or virtues of men.
• Christians are might be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed when time of danger, persecution and specially when trials come, but God wants us to be pure and holy, meaning we need to be faithful to God. In 2 Thessalonians 2: 1-3 says “Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.
• Trials make us mature
a. Trials bring God’s transforming lessons for us to grow in faith.
• Believers needs to depends on God’s power to strengthen his faith in times of Trials
b. Trials make us realize God’s potential for us in success.
• Believers should patiently wait upon God’s strength to overcome trials.
• Isa 30:18 Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you, blessed are all those who wait for him.
We should understand that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. But always remember that we have God who is faithful and wants us to be brave, patient, and faithful when time of difficulties come. Trials, persecution, and danger are only bumps that we climb on to for our spiritual growth.