Summary: What direction are we pointing people in
BE A SIGNPOST
Matthew 16: 1-4
Intro:A. Have you ever given any thought to how important signpost are in our world
1. Can you imagine the problems that we would have getting from one place to another without them
2. What about the problem that we would have in directing someone to a particular place
(a) I have noticed how different people use different landmarks to give direction
(b) I use places to eat --- Go to the street past Wendy’s take a left and turn right at McDonalds
(c) My wife uses stores --- Go past Walmart until you get to Kroger
3. As I was preparing this message I gave thought to the trip that I recently took to SC
(d) What if there had been no signs along the way --- Highway numbers or street names
B. Signpost are extremely important in giving us direction and keeping us on track
C. Christians should also act as signpost
1. In our efforts to win the lost to Christ it is important that we give direction
(a) To direct them to a God who loves them and a Savior who died for them
2. In our efforts to encourage one another to stay on track with our daily walk with Christ we need to give the proper direction through our own actions
D. This morning I want to direct our thought to 3 ways that we as Christians can be signpost in our living for Christ
I. A Signpost Of Unity & Love --- Christians need to show the proper direction through unity & our love for one another
A. First --- Because God commands (not suggest or ask) that Christians act in love & unity
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
1. God commands that we are kind and forgiving to one another
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
2. And God commands that we act in unity as one body in Christ
4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
B. Secondly --- Because God condemns those who cause division in the church and warn us to avoid them
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
C. And thirdly --- Because if we can’t love one another and work in unity it is a sign that we aren’t Christians at all
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
D. Why should we as Christians be a signpost of love and unity --- What is the value of unity & love in the church and among Christians to the lost
1. We need to show a lost world that we are one --- brought together by the love of God
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
2. How can we possibly convince the lost that God loves them and Jesus Christ love them if we can’t convince them that we as Christians love each other
3. How can we tell them that we love them and want to see them come to know Christ if they can’t see the love of Christ in us
II. We as Christians also need to be A Signpost Of Hope
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
A. This verse makes an assumption --- The assumption is that the hope within us as Christians can be seen by those around us
1. If people are going to ask us to explain or give answer for the hope that is in us they must be able to see that we have that hope
B. Many times we as Christians fail to show that hope --- We act as if we have no hope
1. We go around with frowns on our faces --- If we smile our faces might crack
2. We constantly complain about our lives and everything that happens to us