Summary: God knows what He is doing, just trust Him.
1. Donald Barnhouse tells about a friend who raised strawberry plants. One time he sent Donald a shipment of a thousand plants. Barnhouse, who owned some land, entrusted them to a farmer to care for these plants for him.
About the beginning of June, Barnhouse was delighted to find his patch loaded with thousands of blossoms; his mouth watered in anticipation. A few days later as he was talking to that farmer he was told that he had just come back from plucking off the blossoms to his strawberry plants.
Barnhouse could hardly believe his ears, but the farmer explained, "If you have strawberries the first year, the strength goes into the berries and the plants become weak, and they will never produce much in the future. But if you let strength go into the plants the first year, you will have magnificent berries."
2. Have you ever felt like somebody has been plucking your spiritual blossoms, keeping you from having much visible fruit? It could be God! He knows that if we had too much outward fruit, too soon, it would ruin us for future growth and productivity.
3. Be at Rest with God's Best, even when everything is a Mess.
Trans: Joshua 1:1
I. First, we see his Faith.
A. His Initial faith.
1. He was Born in Slavery. Num. 13:8,16
Follow the typology: Egypt = lost condition; Passover = salvation; Wilderness = carnality; Jordan River = death to self; Canaan = the abundant life.
2. He was Brought up in slavery.
3. He was Bought out of slavery.
No one can rest n God's best until they have applied the blood of Christ, as depicted in the Passover. Augustine, "God, You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You."
We were all born and brought up in slavery, the question is, have we been bought by the blood of the Lamb?
B. His Continual faith. Rom. 1:17
1. Proven by Demonstration.
a. Ex. 17:8-13 [Moses said...Joshua went]
b. Num. 13:26-29; 14:6-10
Faith obeys God even when it is unpopular. Faith does not seek man's approval but God's, faith never takes a poll to see whats popular, but looks to God's Word. This is not easy today. Warren Wiersbe writes:
"The average Christian probably doesnt realize how important popularity is to the ministery these days. When I began pastoring at Moody Church people started coming out of the woodwork asking me to come here, speak there, or write this or that.
One day a pastor called me up and wanted me to give a series of messages on worship. Because my schedule was already full, I declined the offer and gave him the name of a friend who would do a tremendous job. "I've never heard of him" the pastor said. "So what?" I replied, "Until this evening, I'd never heard of you! Are you looking for a celebrity or a speaker?" My friend never got the invitation."
c. Josh. 11:15
Joshua demonstrated his faith many times by his obedience. No obedience to God means no faith in God.
2. Proven also by Declaration. Heb. 11:30
Joshua lived in slavery some 40 years and wandered in the wilderness with a bunch of cry babies for another 40 years and yet continued on with God.