Summary: A little exposition concerning the Word of the Lord versus the word of man.
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Can = Ability May = Permission
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
1 Kings 13:1-30
(1) And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the LORD unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.
The Priest not the King is to burn incense!
(2) And he cried against (negative preaching) the altar in the word of the LORD, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men’s bones shall be burnt upon thee.
(3) And he gave a sign the same day, saying, This is the sign which the LORD hath spoken; Behold, the altar shall be rent, and the ashes that are upon it shall be poured out.
(4) And it came to pass, when king Jeroboam heard the saying of the man of God, which had cried against the altar in Bethel, that he put forth his hand from the altar, saying, Lay hold on him. (unrepentant towards the Word of the Lord) And his hand, which he put forth against him, dried up, so that he could not pull it in again to him.
(5) The altar also was rent, and the ashes poured out from the altar, according to the sign which the man of God had given by the word of the LORD.
(6) And the king answered and said unto the man of God, Entreat now the face of the LORD thy God, and pray for me, that my hand may be restored me again.
He knew the man of God was right, just though he could get away with it!
And the man of God besought the LORD, and the king’s hand was restored him again, and became as it was before.
(7) And the king said unto the man of God, Come home with me, and refresh thyself, and I will give thee a reward.
(8) And the man of God said unto the king, If thou wilt give me half thine house, I will not go in with thee, neither will I eat bread nor drink water in this place:
(9) For so was it charged me by the word of the LORD, saying, Eat no bread, nor drink water, nor turn again by the same way that thou camest.
(a commandment for God…to be obeyed!)
(10) So he went another way, and returned not by the way that he came to Bethel.
(11) Now there dwelt an old prophet in Bethel; and his sons came and told him all the works that the man of God had done that day in Bethel: the words which he had spoken unto the king, them they told also to their father.
(12) And their father said unto them, What way went he? For his sons had seen what way the man of God went, which came from Judah.
(13) And he said unto his sons, Saddle me the ass. So they saddled him the ass: and he rode thereon,
(14) And went after the man of God, and found him sitting under an oak: and he said unto him, Art thou the man of God that camest from Judah? And he said, I am.