Summary: Why are so many people seeming to lack motivation to give of their best to the Master? Could it be that they are not that intimately acquainted with His Holy Spirit? Learn how to be empowered, enriched and enabled by the Spirit. Ask the Lord to help you t
Be Empowered, Enriched and Enabled by the Spirit
Illustration: Sometime back the Associated Press carried this dispatch: "Glasgow, Ky.--Leslie Puckett, after struggling to start his car, lifted the hood and discovered that someone had stolen the motor." Many Christians try to run their lives without the empowering of the Holy Spirit and suffer needless distress.
Illustration: Moody was to have a campaign in England. An elderly pastor protested, "Why do we need this ’Mr. Moody’? He’s uneducated, inexperienced, etc. Who does he think he is anyway? Does he think he has a monopoly on the Holy Spirit?" A younger, wiser pastor rose and responded, "No, but the Holy Spirit has a monopoly on Mr. Moody."
1. The Holy Spirit promoted David because he gave credit to WHOM credit was due. Samuel wrote, "And David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel." (2 Samuel 5:12)
Application: Ask the Lord to consistently help you give credit to the Lord for every good thing that comes into your relationships, your ministries and your personal life.
2. The Holy Spirit used David in powerful ways because David kept His spiritual priorities ahead of everything else. Samuel wrote, "Now King David was told, ‘The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he has, because of the ark of God." So David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with rejoicing. When those who were carrying the ark of the Lord had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf." (2 Sam. 6:12,13) Ask the Lord to help you keep your spiritual priorities amidst all the activities in your ministries.
3. The Holy Spirit attracted so many Godly followers because he unashamedly enjoyed praising the Lord with all of His emotions in public view. Samuel wrote, "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets." (2 Sam. 6:14,15) Ask the Lord to help you exhibit great transparency in your public worship, prayers and ministries to the Lord.
4. The Holy Spirit blessed David because he continuously sought the Lord’s blessings in everything. Samuel wrote, "David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with REJOICING." (2 Sam. 6:12b) Ask the Lord to help you never take for granted any blessing or grow complacent in failing to count your blessings.
5. The Holy Spirit empowered David because He refused to think that he could take short cuts in doing all of the will of God. Samuel wrote, "David offered sacrifices of oxen and fatlings when the Levites had gone six paces as an atonement for former sins." (I Chron. 15:26) Ask the Lord to help you to avoid any short cut thinking or actions in your relationships, ministries or personal lifestyle.
6. The Holy Spirit prospered David and his ministries because he used every occasion as an example for others to grow in their love for God. Samuel wrote, "David danced before the Lord with all His might." (2 Sam. 6:14) Ask the Lord to keep you wholeheartedly serving the Lord knowing you are setting an example for many others to emulate.