Summary: A sermon on being filled with the Spirit from Ephesians 5:18-20
Sermon for 11/22/2009
Be Filled with the Spirit
Video Clip from Andy Griffith Show on Otis Campbell
Read Ephesians 5:18-20
A. Wine in Bible times
1. In the world of the Bible they did drink wine. (1 Tim 5:23) Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
2. They did not have a lot of the drinks we have today, they had water and wine.
3. When they drank wine, it was not the strong drink that we have today. They would take at least 3 parts water to 1 part wine and make a drink.
4. The Bible is definitely against drunkenness. When people did not dilute their wine with water, the goal was to get drunk. (Prov 23:31 NIV) Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! (Prov 23:32 NIV) In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.
6. I do not drink alcohol. I was raised in a family where it was not acceptable and in Crystal’s family it is the same. As a practice, I do not partake. I do not drink caffeine because it does cause problems for my kidneys and bladder. I do not drink alcohol because it could cause problems with my mind and morals. “You don’t know that.” No, I don’t but why take the chance. Have enough weaknesses and temptations.
7. Max Lucado not long ago admitted to having a problem with drinking. Just a little bit here and there to calm his nerves and then it got worse.
8. But preacher you just quoted Paul telling Timothy to drink some wine. But in our day if we have a medical problem we have a whole lot of medicines that they didn’t have in Paul’s day. Encourage us to abstain.
9. Do not get drunk on wine which leads to debauchery- Ephesians 5:18
B. Be filled with the Spirit
1. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would come. In Acts 2 we see that the Holy Spirit came upon the apostles in a miraculous way. At the end of Peter’s sermon, he says this, (Acts 2:38 NIV) Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:39 NIV) The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call."
2. We see from the NT that when a person wants to be saved from their sins, that person is baptized and then the Holy Spirit comes into them to live forever.
3. (Rom 8:9 NIV) And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. Either we have the Spirit or we do not. What is the deal with this filling of the Spirit? We were filled at our conversion, weren’t we?
5. Some would like us to believe that this is talking about the experiences that some have today in the name of the Holy Spirit. People who act like they are drunk at worship services. Is this what this verse is talking about? Yes and No.
C. Compare and contrast getting drunk with wine and being filled with the Spirit
1. Man has a craving for release and for excitement. Why do people get drunk?
a. They need some escape from their pain, frustration, and despair.
b. They need a release from the daily pressures and stress.
c. They are just bored and want something exciting to do.
2. Cheers Theme Song- Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot. Wouldn’t you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go Where everybody knows your name, and they’re always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same You wanna be where everybody knows Your name.
3. Alcohol stimulates excitement. It heats the blood, it fires the passions. Men use it, not for the sake of intoxication, but excitement. Loose all inhibitions and be wild.
4. What this verse is really talking about is not being drunk on wine and in connection with that the things of the world. Do not fill up your life with worldly things. No, be filled with the things of the Spirit. What are the things of the Spirit?
5. Let me ask this: When you drank your first beer, did you like it? Most people did not. Why do they keep on drinking it? To get the buzz. It takes some time but after a while they like it. They get good at getting drunk. Over time an old pro.