Summary: God created us in His image, and commanded us to be fruitful and multiply. Fruitfulness is a condition to remain in Christ, we can only be fruitful by abiding in Him, and we are expected to be fruitful in every area of our lives to glorify Him.
BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY
Study Text: Genesis 1: 27 – 29
Gen 1:27 And God created man in His image; in the image of God He created him. He created them male and female.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, Be fruitful, and multiply and fill the earth, and subdue it. And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold! I have given you every herb seeding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree seeding seed; to you it shall be for food.
- The purpose of God for us as Christians is to be Ambassadors of heaven on Earth, thus ensuring that the Kingdom of God is realized on Earth.
- God wants us to be Fruitful and Multiply in all areas of our lives:
1. Spiritually: By living a life pleasing unto God and by being involved in faithful services for His kingdom.
2. Intellectually: He wants us to grow in knowledge, wisdom and understanding both in spiritual things and academic matters.
3. Physically: He wants us to prosper in our health, and in our financial and material wealth.
- Basically God wants us to prosper in all areas of our lives here on Earth! It is not God’s desire to see his children suffering Spiritually, Intellectually and Physically on Earth where they are suppose to be Ambassadors of the Almighty God.
- We are created in the image, likeness of God and we are commanded and blessed to be fruitful and multiply and have dominion over all.
- Even after Mankind had sinned, God still blessed Noah after the rain that killed all living creatures and said Be Fruitful and Multiply.
- This is a clear indication that God has created you to be fruitful and to multiply irrespective of what happened in the past, only if you can place yourself in the position to be blessed by him like Noah who was in the Ark.
- God wants to bless you and has already made a plan for you to be fruitful and multiply in all areas of you life.
- We shall discuss this study under three sub-headings:
1. Understanding Fruitfulness
2. Understanding The Principles of Fruitfulness
3. Understanding The Areas of Fruitfulness in Our Lives
A. Undestanding Fruitfulness:
i. Fruit-fullness is a sign of life; it is a source of deep satisfaction - the fulfillment of purpose.
ii. Fruit-fullness is what the gardener expects when he plants a seed: to grow a vineyard.
iii. Fruit-fullness is the natural byproduct of the healthy believer and is the result of several important elements at work in the believer.
- A fully devoted disciple is a fruit-full disciple-growing and maturing.
- A fruitful person is one who is implanted and abiding in Christ - growing, increasing, abounding, flourishing, and reproducing much fruit. John 15: 1-2.
iv. Fruitfulness is both a command from God and a blessing from Him. It is a sign of spiritual health and life.
v. Fruitfulness is a life of fulfillment and purpose, and a life in partnership with God. John 15:8.
B. Understanding The Principles of Fruitfulness:
- How do we become fruitful, and what is the fruit that God expects? Ps 1: 1-3, Ps 92: 13-14.
- A life totally separated from sinners and sins and that have pleasure in discovering the will of God and doing them completely shall be a fruitful life.
- Our lives can not produce fruits unless we abide in Christ and He abides in us.
- Certain processes are necessary for fruitfulness to take place:
1. The Preparation Process: Both the seed and the soil has to be prepared ready for planting.
- The seed is the word of God, and the soil is our heart. We need to prepare our heart ready to be able to received the viable seed of the word of God.
- Jam 1:21 Therefore putting aside all filthiness and overflowing of evil, receive in meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls.
2. The Planting Process: After the soil has been prepared ready, the actual planting must be done.
- This is by allowing the word of God to produce faith in our lives, so that we believe it and then be prepared to put it into practice.
- Jam 1:22 But become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jam 1:23 For if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man studying his natural face in a mirror.
Jam 1:24 For he studied himself and went his way, and immediately he forgot what he was like.