Summary: This is the 3rd sermon in the series "From The Cradle To The Cross". This is also a New Year’s sermon.
Series: From The Cradle To The Cross [#3]
1. New Year’s resolutions.
2. What does God want and need from us? Be real!
3. Jesus was atleast 40 days old when He was brought to the Temple to be dedicated to God.
4. Simeon and Anna are examples to us in being real.
5. Here is 4 things we must do in order to be real for the Kingdom of God.
1. The word “righteous” means to be “just” and “fair”.
2. How do people see you? Self righteous or righteous?
3. Simeon was righteous and devout. Devout means that Simeon took his relationship with God serious.
4. That could be seen in how he lived everyday.
5. A life lived in righteousness will draw others to Christ. A life lived in self-righteousness will push others away from Christ.
Be righteous and…
1. Simeon was looking forward to the coming of the Messiah.
2. Although he was “waiting” for the Messiah he was not idle.
3. This “waiting” was hope; not a hope that maybe God would send a Messiah, but when God would send the Messiah.
4. We are to live each day with the hope that Jesus will return as promised.
5. This means we must serve God like there is no tomorrow.
Be righteous, expecting, and…
1. The Holy Spirit came upon Simeon.
2. We have an advantage over everyone that lived before that Day at Pentecost. Christians have the Holy Spirit all the time.
3. All that we must do is let the Holy Spirit lead.
4. There is nothing impossible when God is in charge.
5. Just be available, God is able.
Be righteous, expecting, available, and…
1. People get tired of hearing how religious or scholarly you are.
2. They would rather just see Jesus living in you.
3. The evidence of God in Anna’s life was revealed through her spiritual disciplines.
4. Worship, prayer, fasting, and studying God’s Word.
5. God’s children, stop talking and start doing.
1. If you want to resolve to do something this year, why don’t you do something that will last.
2. Be holy! Be set apart for God.
3. Live for Jesus today because there may not be a tomorrow.
4. Just be willing to do what God says.
5. Be faithful to the worshipping of God both in public and private. Pray and fast. Stay in the Word. Make time for God. He made time for you!