Summary: How to deal with paralyzing fear...
“Be Strong and Not Afraid”
• Open in Prayer
• Read Verse: Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Did you know that the greatest enemy of joy in life is fear and the greatest hindrance to fulfilling all God has for you is fear. Let me show you what I mean…
For many years my very best friend has contemplated going into business for himself. He has been working in the heating and oil business for over 13 years, he has felt God’s call to go out on his own, he has the experience to succeed, he has the customers telling him they will support him, he has a wife who encourages him to step out in faith and give it a go but the one thing that has hindered him from taking this leap of faith and starting his business is fear. Fear that he will not make his bills, fear that people will ridicule him if he fails and fear that he will mess up God’s plan for his life.
Well our passage has some great advice for my friend and for all of us; You see as Moses prepares to depart this world, knowing that in his absence the people may be fearful in following God, calls on the Jewish nation to do two things in order that they may experience the fullness of God’s plan for their lives in his absence:
• Be Strong – “ Be strong and courageous”
• Do Not Be Afraid - “Do not be afraid or terrified…”
Christians can not fulfill God’s purpose and plan for their lives if they are constantly living in fear.
PREVIEW OF MAIN POINTS:
This morning I will show you three reasons we can be “strong and courageous”:
I. God goes with us (Confidence)
II. God will not leave us (Trust)
III. God will not forsake us (Assurance)
Let me show you what I mean look with me if you will at vs. 6…
I. GOD GOES WITH US– “The Lord Your God Goes With You” (Confidence)
Let’s allow Moses statement do two things here:
• Allow it to speak for itself
• Allow it to encourage us
Expose The Text:
• “The Lord” –The Supreme Being; Jehovah. The creator of heaven and earth of all that is seen and unseen. The great “I AM”, the beginning and the end, author and finisher of life.
• “Your God” – Not generic but very personal. You, your God. Moses spoke to God’s people then and I am speaking God’s people now, The Lord is “YOUR” God. He is on your side.
• “Goes” – God follows you, pursues the course, travels ahead, behind and along side.
• “With You” – You are in the company of, You are leaving with and You are arriving with the Lord Your God!”
In 1715 King Louis 14th of France died after a reign of 72 years. He had called himself "the Great," His court was the most magnificent in Europe his funeral was equally spectacular. As his body lay in state in a golden coffin, orders were given that the cathedral should be very dimly lit with only a special candle set above his coffin, to dramatize his greatness. At the memorial, thousands waited in hushed silence. The Bishop then began to speak; slowly reaching down; he snuffed out the candle and said, "Only God is great."
I understand your fears in life and I understand that you may not feel great, you may not feel that you can accomplish all that God has called you to and the truth is you can’t but God can and He is with you, He is your confidence.
My guess is that if you are anything like me there is something in your life that you simply wish you could do for God but fear has simply paralyzed you.
Please take a moment now to consider it. (Spend 20 – 30 sec. in silent prayer for the people)
Now I would like you to re-consider knowing this:
• The Lord
• Your God
• With You
God wants you to have confidence in Him, that you may not fear.
If that does not make you want to be strong and courageous then how about this…
II. GOD WILL NOT LEAVE US: “He Will Never Leave You” (Trust)
Moses was not about to stop with God goes with you, He now wants them to have more than confidence in their God he wants them to trust their God. Look at what Moses says:
Expose The Text: