Summary: What you get if you follow Jesus ~ and what you get of you don't!
Be sure of what you are going to get! Luke 18:35-41a
I love this account of Jesus and the blind beggar. I realize that I didn’t read the entire story, but, if you know Jesus, you know that Jesus heals the blind man in the end.
• Why? Because of his faith in Christ!
• I stopped with the question Jesus asked the blind beggar: “What do you want Me to do for you?”
It reminds me of when I was a teenager one day, and my dad told me to mow the yard.
• I had been mowing the yard for as long as I could remember…for nothing!
• But at this point I was driving my car, and having to pay for my gas and I had a girlfriend, and there were other things that I wanted, so I guess I decided that it was time for me to start getting something for mowing the yard.
So when dad asked me this time to mow the yard, I replied, “What do I get if I do?” and immediately my father replied, “You better be concerned about what you’re going to get if you don’t.”
• Whenever we do things in life, we want to be sure of what we’re going to get in return.
• This afternoon I want to tell you these things in relation to knowing and not knowing Jesus!
First, if you know Jesus, you can be sure to get REST:
A). Jesus promises, in Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
• What kind of rest does Jesus promise here?
• Too many people what a physical rest ~ they want to come to Jesus and then just sit back and enjoy a life of comfort. That’s not the rest Jesus promises.
• Jesus is promising a spiritual rest here ~ the rest that comes from a clear conscience and the knowledge and assurance that our sins are forgiven.
• Jesus also promises an eternal rest ~ a rest that comes as He has gone to prepare a place for us to spend eternity with Him.
• We have peace with God and the peace of God.
B). But failure to come to Jesus results in restlessness:
• Isaiah 57: 20 & 21 tells us that “The wicked are like the tossing sea that cannot rest…There is no peace, says my God, for the wicked.”
• By refusing to follow Jesus, we assure ourselves of spiritual turmoil. They have no share in the peace made by the blood of Christ; they have no true, solid, inward peace of conscience; nor will they have any part in the happiness of the people of God.
Second, if you know Jesus, you can be sure to get LIFE:
A). I hear people say, “Wait a minute preacher, I have life right now.” But I want to ask you, “What kind of life are you really living?”
• Jesus offers life the way that God intended life to be.
• He offers abundant life ~ and if you know Jesus, He offers more than that: John 10:10 says, “I have come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly.”
• Jesus offers something that is more abundant than life ~ and that is LIFE!
• Eternal life with Him.