Summary: The final test of salvation is fruit. This means a changed life, Christian character and conduct, and ministry to others in the glory of God.
"BE YE DOERS"
Scripture: James 1:19- 25
I. Be Ye
A. Be Swift --- James 1:19 "be swift (speedy) to hear (learn by hearing)"
1. Hear the Word --- Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
4102 pistis (pis'-tis) from 3982; TDNT - 6:174,849; n f
AV - faith 239, assurance 1, believe 1537 1, belief 1, them that believe 1, fidelity 1; 244
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervor born of faith and joined with it
1a) relating to God
1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
1b) relating to Christ
1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
1c) the religious beliefs of Christians
1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
2a) the character of one who can be relied on
2. Receive the Word --- James 1:21 "receive with meekness the engrafted word"
Engrafted = inborn, implanted by nature, implanted by others instructions
B. Be Berean --- Acts 17:10-12
1. Bereans received the Word.
v. 10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who
coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
v. 11 (a) These were more noble (well born, noble minded) than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness of mind,
2. Bereans studied the Word
v. 11 (b) and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
v. 12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
They received the Word. They studied the Word.
3. Paul admonished Timothy to study the Word.
II Timothy 2:15 "Study to show thyself approved (accepted, pleasing) unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
C. Be Ye Doers
James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your
1. "be ye" --- to become, to come into existence, come into a new state of being
2. "doers" --- poietes (poy-ay-tace') --- performer, poet, creative performance,
a productive action pointing to an actual result
The final test of salvation is fruit. This means a changed life, Christian character and conduct, and ministry to others in the glory of God. Warren W. Wiersbe pg 346
II. THE CHURCH
A. What does the Church need?
1. Praying? --- Sure
2. Faith? --- Sure
3. Spiritual Gifts --- Yes
4. The Word --- Definitely
But the Word is abundant. Preaching is plentiful. The Bible out sales all other books.
Ministries now use radio, TV, CD's, tapes, internet, etc.
B. What's the problem?
1. We hear audibly, but we do not receive and act on the word.
Hebrews 4:1-2 (v. 1) "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it." (v.2) "For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."
2. When the Word should go in both ears and down to the heart and produce action, it instead goes in one ear and out the other. Spiros Zodhiates "Hearing Is Not Enough" Pulpit Helps July 2000
C. One of the biggest disappointments to a pastor/preacher/teacher, etc.
1. To present the Word to people who will be hearers, but will not be doers.
2. They hear but do not receive and therefore do not act on the Word.
No performance occurs.
3. They shout during the message and compliment afterwards, but go on in a
defective way refusing to act on the message.
4. They are deceiving their own selves. James 1:22
Deceiving = to reckon wrong, to cheat by false reckoning, to delude,
circumvent, to deceive by false reasoning
It is not enough to hear the Word; we must do it. Many people have the mistaken
idea that hearing a good sermon or Bible study is what makes them grow and get
God's blessing. Too many Christians mark their Bibles, but their Bibles never mark
them! If you think you are spiritual because you hear the Word, then you are only
kidding yourself. Warren W. Wiersbe pg 347
III. THE IMPORTANCE OF THE WORD
A. We are begotten by the Word