Summary: We use the story of Esther to show how God has placed potential in all of us from the inside out.
Text: Esther 1 - 9
“Beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone. Beauty fades, but ugly holds it’s own.” (L. D. Streiker, An Encyclopedia of Humor, Hendrickson Publishers, @1998)
ASK: Who are some women that you would say are beautiful?
- Esther 2:15 says “. . . she was admired by everyone who saw her.”
1. Esther’s Beauty (chapter 2)
A. Outer Beauty - She was a contestant in the first beauty pageant!
B. Inner Beauty - It takes more than good looks to find favor in the eyes of people - especially leaders.
- You may be able to get a second glance from the opposite sex, but will they give you a second minute when they discover your character?
Write down 5 positive qualities about your appearance. Now write down 5 positive qualities about your character. Which is more valuable to you? Which is more valuable to others?
- Esther was a hero! Her people were in need, about to be killed, and she didn’t sneak out the back door.
2. Esther’s Boldness (chapter 3 - 5)
A. She responded to counsel (3:10-16)
- What do you do when a tough decision comes your way? Do you seek out counsel from your parents or other spiritual leaders?
B. Esther realized her potential.
- Potential is achieving that which God has designed and equipped you to fulfill. Anything less is cowardly.
- God uses our present situations to bring about his glory in our lives and to help us to meet or full potential in Him.
Personal Project: What positions do you hold? Write down the different positions you hold and replace “royal position” with your position.
C. She took a stand (5:1; 7:3-9)
- Her position as queen was on the line!
- Her life was on the line! (4:11)
3. Esther’s Bliss
Bliss = gladness, cause of delight or happiness
A. Her enemies were destroyed! (7:9-10; 9:1-19)
- When we do things right, like Esther did, God will fight our battles for us and our enemies will be destroyed.
B. She was rewarded! (8:1)
- God will always reward those who take a stand and do what’s right! Look at the beatitudes in Matthew 5.
NOTE: Mordecai was also rewarded. God rewards those who work behind the scenes just as much as those in the lime light.
C. Her people were honored and blessed (8:16-17)
- God will honor those who honor Him and He will add to our numbers.
NOTE: Your Character will be a testimony to those who don’t know Jesus.