Summary: How should we respond to God’s love
Because He loves me …
Have you ever met someone who voluntarily has studied something they are not passionate about?
Not only book study … picking up tools.
Ps 139:1-6 O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
This psalm not only tells us how we can know that God loves us, but it also outlines our responsibility towards Him because of that love
1. I know God loves me because …
a. He has examined me
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. 5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
i. God knows absolutely everything about us
1. MSG I’m an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I’m thinking
2. He knows us better than we know ourselves
3. Before we think a thought he knows we are going to think it
4. before we say a word He knows we are going to say it
a. That should change our prayer life
b. Prayer should be more listening than asking
ii. INCOMPARABLE, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God
You are amazing God
b. He is always with me
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
i. The tone of David’s thoughts here are positive, this is about God’s love
1. “There is nowhere I can go where you won’t be able to love me”
2. there is nowhere I can go where you won’t be able to protect me
3. Ever felt like you’re in this situation on your own?
ii. God is even in the places where I can’t go
iii. He sees everything
1. He sees the things I hope no one else sees
2. He sees the things that I hope others would see
a. Ever felt like “nobody loves me, nobody notices me. I am a nobody” … God notices
3. Don’t need to defend or justify yourself before God
iv. 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
1. God is not limited by the things that limit us
a. Dark is like light
b. Bad circumstances can bring good
c. Death is like life
c. He made me
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully (full of wonder) made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.