Summary: How do we develop in our lives so that we are effective "storytellers"? This message looks at the promise that we are not alone and that Jesus Himself is always in our corner.
A. Beginning of this series, I asked you to decide then to make the series count.
a. We can’t get something out of nothing – career, relationship, etc.
b. Several prayer cards were turned in – We’ve all been praying
B. Through the OneAnother Home Groups
I’ve learned a lot in the way I approach evangelism. Both course have used the approach of becoming contagious through your personality and NOT that of a presentation.
1. Why> Campaign – Bob Dilworth
a. Science vs. the Bible – how do we handle questions
b. Even amongst us, there were differences
c. A Conversation with one of these types of unbelievers could definitely prove to be tough and make you very uneasy.
2. Becoming A Contagious Christian – Scott Wells
a. How do You Tell Your Story without being considered pushy?
b. When do you; How do you; What method; What do you say: ETC.
1. BOTH CLASSES were discussing the different methods of sharing.
2. Let’s face it – the big “E” Word can make us quiet unnerved to say the least!
Norman Cates shared the humorous story of a guy who prayed this prayer every morning: "Lord, if you want me to witness to someone today, please give me a sign to show me who it is."
One day he found himself on a bus when a big, burly man sat next to him. The bus was nearly empty but this guy still sat next to our praying friend. The timid Christian anxiously waited for his stop so he could exit the bus. But before he could get very nervous about the man next to him, the big guy burst into tears and began to weep.
He then cried out with a loud voice, "I need to be saved. I’m a lost sinner and I need the Lord. Won’t somebody tell me how to be saved?" He turned to the Christian and pleaded, "Can you show me how to be saved?" The believer immediately bowed his head and prayed, "Lord, is this a sign?"
Are you looking for a "sign" to start sharing?
C. Today - #5: “Becoming A Contagious Storyteller”
In looking at the different personalities in the different HOME GROUPS & CHUFCH, I thought about how this challenge is different for everyone of us!
a. How I Tell My Story is not the same. We are different.
b. Our Relationships are Different.
c. Our Methods are Different.
I began praying early in the week over this message asking the Lord to help us become a Contagious Family asking for guidance in a message that would help to enable us!
Where the Lord brought me over the next several days was in two areas:
1. John 17 – Reminding me “Jesus Is Always Praying for You”
2. Mark 4 - The importance of “Practicing Faithfulness” –Parable of the Growing Seed
I. JESUS IS PRAYING FOR YOU – JOHN 17
a. Jesus’ ministry was coming to a close! Told and Taught all there was!
b. While in comparing gospels, this is not the prayer of agony in “Garden of Gethsemane” but instead an open conversation with God on 3 parts.
A. Jesus Prayed for Himself
1. His Ministry Accomplished –VS. 3 - 5
a. Vs. 3 – His GIVING brought Eternal Life – Life through the Son
b. Vs. 4 – He Was Willing - His GIVING Brought Glory to the Father
c. Vs. 5 – He was Ready to Return – To His place of Glory!
B. Jesus Prayed for His Disciples – Vs. 6-19
1. Vs. 6 - God Brought them to The Son.
a. John 6:44 (NIV)
44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him…”
2. Vs. 8 - God Gave the Words!
a. Even Jesus depended on the Father to Share The Story!
b. He just had to give of Himself – “I GAVE them the word you gave…”
3. Vs. 9 - Jesus prayed for them.
4. Vs. 18-19 – The Baton is Passed!
C. Jesus Prayed for YOU – Vs. 20-26
1. Vs. 20-21 - We Be As One as They are One
- Jesus prayed that we be a family of one just as He and the Father are one!
- The Enablement of the Church!
2. Vs. 23 – Why does He want us as ONE?
a. To be Strong – Picture the Armor –
‘though as many now we come to worship you as one’!
b. “to let the world know”
- That He was Sent that Another Might Have Eternal Life
- That Eternal Life is Available just as it was for you!
3. Vs. 26- He’s Still Praying for You!
a. “I have made you known”
b. “and will continue to make you known”