Summary: There are no hopeless situations; only people who have grown hopeless because of their situations!
BECOMING A GIANTKILLER!
What kind of Giant are you facing RIGHT NOW?
Maybe you are struggling with problems so huge that you think you can’t overcome them. Or your giant may be people who frighten you -- a demanding boss, a cynical professor, a domineering mother-in-law.
Do you have a challenging decision ahead of you?
Do I need to change my major?
Is God calling me to prepare for something different?
What will I do with my summer?
Or maybe it’s a debt you cannot pay,
Or a disease for which there is no cure,
Or an addiction that you are struggling to overcome,
Or a disability that you cannot erase.
Much of life is spent in battle with personal giants.
At a nursing home in Florida, a resident group was discussing the giant ailments in their lives.
"My arms are so weak I can hardly lift this cup of coffee."
"Yes, I know my cataracts are so bad I can’t even see my coffee."
"I can’t turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck!"
"My Blood pressure pills make me dizzy."
"Well, I guess that’s just the price we pay for getting old."
Everyone agreed, except one woman who said, "Well, it’s not that bad! Thank God, we can all still drive!"
GIANT FACTS ABOUT GIANTS
What overwhelms you today? What goal do you feel incapable of completing? Draw a small picture or symbol of it in this box
& write its name in there
I. Every giant introduces a person to himself. A crisis does not make or break us; it simply shows us who we already are !
Giants are overwhelming ! Giants are intimidating !
4) A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. He was over nine feet tall.
5) He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels;
6) on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back.
7) His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him.
8) Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, "Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me.
9) If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us."
10) Then the Philistine said, "This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other."
11) On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.
II. We become overwhelmed when our giants have a REPUTATION!
A champion named Goliath (vs 4)
A TALL champion (vs 4)
Looks like Shaquille O’Neill in munchkin land!
A tall, GLOWING champion (vs 5, 6)
A tall, glowing, STRONG champion
A tall, glowing, strong, MOUTHY champion (vs 8-11)
Trans: Not only is Goliath overwhelming because of his reputation, his size, his protection, and his strength, but he is also…
A tall, glowing, strong, mouthy, GROWING champion (vs 16)
"For forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and evening and took his stand."