Summary: We are in anticipation of the Rapture We must be faithful and wise stewards
Becoming good stewards
We are in anticipation of the Rapture
We must be faithful and wise stewards
a. Instead of waiting we should be working
b. We do not know when He is coming but He is coming
The Bible says
“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” 2 Cor. 5:10.
The words me, my and I are spoken so rashly at times-
* my fortune, my land, my house- we should see these as belonging to the Lord
* We must learn to be good stewards of what the Lord has entrusted in our care
1. What is stewardship: STEWARDSHIP—the management of another person’s property, finances, or household affairs. The believer’s stewardship incorporates accountability for the way in which he or she manages life’s affairs as given as a personal oversight (Matt. 25:14-30).
* This Parable of the talents talks about a 1 talent and also a five talent servant
* The one talent servant is just as important as the five-talent servant
a. We will all have to stand and give account on how we handled what the Lord gave us
2. Whatever God has given us we are to use to His glory
a. These things include: being disciplined with regard to our time, material wealth, minds, and bodies.
b. Christ gives us opportunities that match our abilities, and the one-talent servant is just as important as the five-talent servant.
The key is faithfulness (1 Cor. 4:2), for God measures us against ourselves and not against the other servants. Are you afraid to step out by faith and take some risks for God?
1 Cor. 4:2 : 1Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
4. The Bible shows us that time is short:
a. We do not have a long time on this earth
b. We should be better stewards of our time
Ps 90: 1-3 and 9-12: Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. (2) Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. (3) Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men. (9) For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told. (10) The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (11) Who knoweth the power of thine anger? Even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.
1. The Bible in James says that we are like a vapor
5. We should also honour the Lord with all of our possessions
a. Prov 3:9-10 9Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: 10So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
1. The Lord wants to give us spiritual blessings as we prove that we are good stewards of our possessions
2. When we bring the Lord our first fruits we are acknowledging that it all belongs to Him
3 We should commit everything to the Lord even our pocket book
6. Some folk may say, “I have worked hard. I earned this
a.” The Lord gave you the health to work.
b. The Lord gave you the work to do
c. The Lord made it possible for you to make money
God did all that for you.
That is the evidence of total commitment.
d. As 1 Cor. 4:2 : says 1Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God 2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
7. We will all give account of our stewardship
Romans 6:10-12: 10But why dost thou judge thy brother? Or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God
a. We have to worry about our own spiritual lives
b. be found faithful stewards
2Cor5:10: 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.