Summary: God wants us to see and understand the things he says. We must BEHOLD!
1. Deuteronomy 11.26-27
2. "Behold" -- Perceive; approve; consider; discern; make to enjoy; take heed to; have respect for; implies visually seeing
* [Use glasses in order to see better and appreciate art, etc.
* God has used visual aids to help us behold his actions -- Fiery and Cloudy Pillars; Tabernacle; Lord's Supper
3. Similar to "Hineni" -- Abraham binding Isaac -- Abraham was ready to do as instructed; Moses -- Exodus 3.4
a. Link between Hearing and Obeying; between Obeying and Blessing
b. Warning of disobeying and cursing (opposite condition of obedience)
c. Listening vs. listening well -- "I see what you mean."
Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David. Isaiah 55.3
4. However, there are some aspects of life that are beyond physical sight -- love; trust; hope; peace; etc.
6 So we are always of good courage; we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5.6-8
5. This makes a difference in times of adversity -- Prophets; Apostles (and Yeshua)
6. NC Scriptures of taking notice of God
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.' 31 I myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel." 32 And John bore witness, "I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God."
* More than physical sight; it is spiritual understanding
* ALL of life revolves around Yeshua
* HE is the remedy/solution to our trials
* Record of FEW days -- all books could not contain all he did (John 20.30-31)
* Difficult for us to imitate even a few days of the life of Yeshua (Jesus)
II. God's New Life -- 2 Corinthians 5.16-17
16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once regarded Christ from a human point of view, we regard him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come.
* Pagan converting to Judaism -- "Born again" -- all new
* So it is with us -- renewed life -- new priorities
[Clean out house -- how many things are we holding on to that we really do not need? What about our lives and our secret sins????
III. God's Love -- 1 John 3.1-3
See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Beloved, we are God's children now; it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
* Lord's Supper is a visual expression for what God has done for us
* Based on Passover
* Pay attention -- we are children of GOD!
* He can provide deep healing for deep wounds in our lives
4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions,
he was bruised for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that made us whole,
and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned every one to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53.4-6
IV. God's Eternal Actions -- Revelation 21.1-8
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband; 3 and I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; 4 he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away."