Luke 2:1-20 BEHOLD THE LAMB PROVIDED A Providential Decree - 2:1-5 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
1) The Period of His Birth - 2:1-3
(a) A Time Appointed By God Gal 4 v 4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. (b) A Time Attested By Scripture Rom 5 v 6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (c) A Time Approved By Circumstance ie. One Lord (Judaism), One Law (Roman), One Language (Greek) (d) A Time Acknowledged By Caeser (He Brought Jesus to Bethlehem) 2) The Place of His Birth - 2:4,5 4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) (a) It Was a Planned Place Micah 5:2. But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. (b) a Providential Place Nazareth is some 70 miles north of Bethlehem. (c) a Poor Place 2 Cor. 8:9, “For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.” (d) a Prophetic Place 7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. A Picture Of :- (a) Death swaddling clothes (b) Deliverance in a manger John 6 v 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. (c) Denial no room for them in the inn A Promised Delivery We See :-
1) The Birth of The King - 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
2) The Bundling of The King - 2:7 "swaddling clothes"
3) The Bed of The King - 2:7 "manger"
A Powerful Display - 2:8-20
1) The Power Of God's Grace - 2:8-12 See :-
The Power Of The Messenger 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. The Power Of The Message 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. It Was A :-
A PEACEFUL MESSAGE - "Fear not, for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy..." A PERSONAL MESSAGE - "...for unto you..." A PRACTICAL MESSAGE - "...is born...a savior, which is Christ the Lord." Our Greatest Need
· If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent us an educator.
· If our greatest need had been technology, God would have sent us a scientist.
· If our greatest need had been money, God would have sent us an economist.
· If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would have sent us an entertainer.
· But our greatest need was forgiveness, so God sent us a Saviour. A PRAISE WORTHY MESSAGE - Vs.14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. The Power Of The Messiah
(a) A Particular Birth - 2:11 "there is"
(b) A Physical Birth - 2:11 "born"
(c) A Personal Birth - 2:11 "unto you"
(d) A Posted Birth - 2:11 "this day"
(e) A Prophesied Birth - 2:11 "in the city of David"
(f) A Providential Birth - 2:11 "a Saviour"
(g) A Preeminent Birth - 2:11 "who is Christ the Lord"
The Proof of The Mission - 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
2) The Power Of God's Glory - 2:13,14
a) An Army That Spoke of Praise - 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, His Is A Saving Claim On Our Lives, His Is A Sovereign Claim On Our Lives, His Is The Supreme Claim On Our Lives, b) An Army That Spoke of Peace - 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. c) An Army That Spoke of Purpose good will toward men