Summary: This sermon is a focus on Jesus as Pilate and others saw him -- a failure. The irony is, his "defeat" was actually his key to victory.
1. Jesus, a Wanted Man
"If Jesus had of entered into one of our modern cities, leading a parade, as the "triumphal entry into Jerusalem, He would have been arrested immediately. He would be a wanted man."
* The FDA would want Him for turning water into wine without a license;
* The EPA for killing fig trees;
* The AMA for practicing medicine without a license;
* The Dept. of Health for asking people to open graves, for raising the dead and for feeding 5000 people in the wilderness without a food permit;
* The NEA for teaching without a certificate;
* OSHA for walking on water without a lifejacket;
* The SPCA for driving hogs into the sea;
* The NATIONAL BOARD OF PSYCHIATRISTS for giving advice on how to live a guilt free life;
* The PLANNED PARENTHOOD for saying that whoever harms children, it is better that they had never been born;
* The COEXIST MOVEMENT for condemning all other religions,
* And by the ZONING DEPT. for building mansions without a permit."
Jesus would be a wanted man today. He was a wanted man 2000 years ago. While the crowd was praising Him, the religious leaders of the day and the Romans were working to kill Him......
2. Jesus stood before Pilate as a condemned man -- John 19.1-11
a. We have a law -- Leviticus 24.15-16
b. Pilate may be mocking the Jews and Jesus
c. Pilate inadvertently fulfills Zechariah 6.12
d. Pilate may not have understood, the Jews would have
3. Behold the Man:
I. The Picture of God's Love for Men
A. It Is Difficult to Trust an Invisible God
Trusting in Disaster
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. Isaiah 43:2
Reading about the Israelites standing on the shore of the Red Sea, we can imagine their distress over the advance of the Egyptian army. Has God forgotten us? This question visits each of us from time to time when everything around us seems to be crumbling: the loss of a job, broken relationships, or even the loss of loved ones.
It's hard to trust an invisible God. Like the Israelites in their moment of distress, we do not know God's plan; the Israelites were not expecting God to part the water before them. It would have been easy to abandon faith and become cynical. Instead, we can apply Moses' exhortation to ourselves, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord ... The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace" (Exodus 14:13-14). God delights in carrying us through even the darkest of times. He is at work in our situation. Trust in Him, and allow this promise to strengthen your spirit today.
Trust is not a passive state of mind. It is a vigorous act of the soul by which we choose to lay hold on the promises of God and cling to them despite the adversity that at times seeks to overwhelm us. Jerry Bridges
B. God's Ultimate Display of Love is in His Incarnation
* Garden of Eden
* Call of Abram
* Call of Moses and Exodus from Egypt
* Gift of Torah
* John 1.14
* John 3.16
* Yet, not enough for some
3. Incredible Love of God -- 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13.7
a. Some put fault on others//Some take the fault of others
b. GOD is willing to bear and endure the guilt of our guilt
Love of Christ is Real.
"Dearest Jimmy, No words could ever express the great unhappiness I've felt since breaking our engagement. Please say you'll take me back. No one could ever take your place in my heart, so please forgive me. I love you, I love you, I love you! Yours forever, Marie... PS, And congratulations on winning the state lottery."
In 1993 the Sportsman Review stated that toy companies watch divorce rates. When it rises, so do toy sales. According to the analyzers, four parents and eight grandparents tend to compete for children's affections, so they buy toys.
The love of Jesus is different than any other kind of love in our lives.
II. The Picture of God's Loser Before Men
A. The Idolatry of "Success"
How do YOU define success? Many would define success with the attainment of one or more of the following:
* Power -- having a number of people under your authority
* Prestige -- being well-known, famous
* Position -- achieving the executive level
* Popularity -- being well-liked by the majority